Awesome Craigslist Rant from an ACO - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Awesome Craigslist Rant from an ACO

Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #51
Germey

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Rancho Bernardo, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Many months ago, PBS had an outstanding documentary on dogs. Fascinating on several counts, but the info on behavior and aggressiveness is relevant here.
The use of dogs as companions is very very recent in the evolutionary line of most breeds. What that breed did historically for several centuries before it was asked to heel and play well with others does in fact stick with them. Of course, since they are intelligent animals, how they are raised makes a big difference on an individual basis.
Many types of smaller terriers are killers to the core. They were use primarily for killing rats and other vermin on farms an ranches.
My Dachshund has a nefarious past as well. They were used on boar hunts and would roll onto their backs to attack the boar's belly and genitals. I always keep a weather eye on him.

Our local news station did a big "story" (sensationalistic drivel really) on the "most frequent dog attack areas" and also reiterated the stats by breed.
#1 was, of course, labs, but that is an obvious numbers game based on how many f'in labs there are.
Pit Bulls were #2 or #3.
Honestly, I think that Chihuahuas and other neurotic little toy dogs would be very high on the list if most people weren't embarrassed to make a report about it.

Finally, there do need to be off leash areas (playing fetch really sucks on a leash) but people need to respect the boundaries.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #52
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Madison WI
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusorfodder View Post
Except you can say this for owners of all of the breeds tested, so, with everyone having the same intentions and general inclinations, the tests are rather standardized. People with calm labrador retrievers (91.8%) will seek out this test, as will people with calm shetland sheepdogs (67.4%). Since everyone is of that mindset, then that works to negate that as a variable.
Except that people who own those stereotypical 'good' dogs are more likely to participate in a test with a jumpy animal than someone who owns a much maligned breed like a pit. After all, if you test your pit and it fails and he ever bites or even scares anyone, that's going to hurt in any follow on lawsuit, no matter how justified the dog was.

The bottom line is this: Self selection for testing, especially if the participant has to PAY for the test, does not result in a good pool of candidates for a population since it tells you more about the people opting into these tests than about the dogs being tested.

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #53
bethlehembrewer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Veneta, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob View Post
Except that people who own those stereotypical 'good' dogs are more likely to participate in a test with a jumpy animal than someone who owns a much maligned breed like a pit. After all, if you test your pit and it fails and he ever bites or even scares anyone, that's going to hurt in any follow on lawsuit, no matter how justified the dog was.

The bottom line is this: Self selection for testing, especially if the participant has to PAY for the test, does not result in a good pool of candidates for a population since it tells you more about the people opting into these tests than about the dogs being tested.
Exactly. And I meant to mention the paying for a test??? WTF.

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???

Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #54
bethlehembrewer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Veneta, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germey View Post
Many months ago, PBS had an outstanding documentary on dogs. Fascinating on several counts, but the info on behavior and aggressiveness is relevant here.
The use of dogs as companions is very very recent in the evolutionary line of most breeds. What that breed did historically for several centuries before it was asked to heel and play well with others does in fact stick with them. Of course, since they are intelligent animals, how they are raised makes a big difference on an individual basis.
Many types of smaller terriers are killers to the core. They were use primarily for killing rats and other vermin on farms an ranches.
My Dachshund has a nefarious past as well. They were used on boar hunts and would roll onto their backs to attack the boar's belly and genitals. I always keep a weather eye on him.

Our local news station did a big "story" (sensationalistic drivel really) on the "most frequent dog attack areas" and also reiterated the stats by breed.
#1 was, of course, labs, but that is an obvious numbers game based on how many f'in labs there are.
Pit Bulls were #2 or #3.
Honestly, I think that Chihuahuas and other neurotic little toy dogs would be very high on the list if most people weren't embarrassed to make a report about it.

Finally, there do need to be off leash areas (playing fetch really sucks on a leash) but people need to respect the boundaries.
That is interesting although somewhat expected.

Yeah SWMBO's parents have a Jack Russel and her grandmother has a mini poodle. I love the JR to death but she can be a little sh!t head, and does go after all animals. I can't stand poodles to begin with and this one is probably the worst stuck up punk Ive ever seen. At one point he wouldnt let my dog or the JR eat while we were at the cottage, this went on for about a day.

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???