Dihydrogen Monoxide: The Silent Killer - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Dihydrogen Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
BrewWench

Recipes 

May 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco View Post
I remember that the high school I went to was so bad that they used that stuff in their eye-wash bottles!!!

LOL!

I bet you can get people to sign a petition to "Save the trilobites! Their coral reef habitat is being destroyed!"

Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Calgary
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewWench View Post
LOL!

I bet you can get people to sign a petition to "Save the trilobites! Their coral reef habitat is being destroyed!"
"Every time you drive your car you're destroying Trilobite habitat!!!!"

LOL

Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
MrFebtober

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Greater Cincinnati area
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well you know, that stuff is dangerous...

Mix it with the extract of Hordeum vulgare subsp. vulgare, boil it with some Humulus lupulus and add in some Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, or Saccharomyces Carlsbergensis, and consume enough of it, and lord knows what could happen...
Well done, good sir! <golf claps>

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Riley454 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob View Post
I've never really seen that as 'being dumb'. Obscuring the real meaning of what you are saying behind technical language or technical sounding jargon is common. Getting people to agree with someone that carries themselves like an expert and uses language that makes them sound like an expert is frequently done. I'd be willing to guess that everyone here has been bamboozled by someone at one point or another and never realized it.

These 'water petition' don't really 'prove' anything about the relative intelligence of the participants. It just proves that, particularly when it costs you nothing, people are willing to take what people say at face value.
It's called gullibility. And actually, I think it does prove something here: that the rest of the stuff that this particular organization (their 'Green Party') should be taken with a grain of salt given their relative gullibility on this particular issue---it ruins their credibility. So it's not just a case of obfuscating or obscuring the real meaning through technical jargon.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
MrFebtober

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Greater Cincinnati area
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I've never really seen that as 'being dumb'. Obscuring the real meaning of what you are saying behind technical language or technical sounding jargon is common. Getting people to agree with someone that carries themselves like an expert and uses language that makes them sound like an expert is frequently done. I'd be willing to guess that everyone here has been bamboozled by someone at one point or another and never realized it.

These 'water petition' don't really 'prove' anything about the relative intelligence of the participants. It just proves that, particularly when it costs you nothing, people are willing to take what people say at face value.
It's a bit more than that, IMHO. It's beyond someone convincing a person of some non-existant threat through fancy language. These people are putting their signatures on paper for a cause they instantly believe in without even a second thought. You're right that it does not indicate lack of intelligence directly, but it is a bit troubling and revealing to see people commit, in writing, to something based on one brief sales pitch and seemingly without using any critical thinking skills at all. At the very least it illustrates how meaningly signed petitions are.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 06-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #16
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:

What it proved is that those guys are a bunch of reactionary boobs who don't check their facts, AND make 'scientific' sounding pronouncements when they have no scientific background. I think that was the point.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
k1v1116
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wonder how many people would want deoxyribonucleic acid banned if you told them is was the source of serious mutations?

Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Madison WI
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
What it proved is that those guys are a bunch of reactionary boobs who don't check their facts, AND make 'scientific' sounding pronouncements when they have no scientific background. I think that was the point.
There's no difference between that one and any number of other petitions, chain letters or oft repeated 'facts' that are complete bunk.

People frequently take things at face value, particularly when it costs them nothing to do so. This includes people of every political persuasion.

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Riley454 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts

Petitions are pretty meaningless. Once someone with a petition has gotten your attention, what percentage of the time do you say "I can't agree with that, I'm not going to sign" versus when you just sign to get out of there? Most people want to avoid confrontation, so they'll just sign without thinking too much, to escape from the situation or just because they don't want to get into a debate. You can get plenty of signatures for pretty any issue as long as you have enough people with clipboards (and it helps if they're cute ).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Riley454 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #20
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Madison WI
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Petitions are pretty meaningless. Once someone with a petition has gotten your attention, what percentage of the time do you say "I can't agree with that, I'm not going to sign" versus when you just sign to get out of there? Most people want to avoid confrontation, so they'll just sign without thinking too much, to escape from the situation or just because they don't want to get into a debate. You can get plenty of signatures for pretty any issue as long as you have enough people with clipboards (and it helps if they're cute ).
That's another aspect I hadn't considered before.

And all they are doing is trolling a location of people who are predisposed to hearing the type of banter that they are speaking about.

Like going to a breast cancer fund raiser and getting signatures on a petition to end women's suffrage. Cover the meaning with some doublespeak and you'll get intelligent, well meaning people signing it.

Or getting a bunch of republican politicians to pledge support for Hugo N Frye, the unrecognized hero of the Republican party. Again-- letters of support from well meaning people for a pile of nonsense.

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.