Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > DIY Hopstopper

Old 06-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default DIY Hopstopper

I have a new keggle that I have been using for a while. I use an immersion chiller and after chilling I have basically been whirlpooling to settle out the hops and trub and then siphoning out the wort. I see the pictures of some people who use the same method and get a really nice trub/hop cone at the bottom of their kettle. I am not really getting that and it is have been having a lot of trouble with my siphon tube clogging. Does anyone know why this would happen? How long do you need to whirlpool to get that nice cone? I have been whirlpooling for about a minute and then letting it settle undisturbed for 20-30 minutes.

So, basically, I really like the hop stopper. I really don't like the price, so I want to build one myself. But I am debating it. On the one hand it will be cheaper, but on the other, I can't return it if it doesn't work out. My IC is already right at the top of the wort, and I am wondering how the hopstopper will effect the way it will sit in the kettle.

I saw the pictures on Bobby's website: http://www.suebob.com/brew/equipment.htm and saw that he said he had trouble with the 60x40 mesh clogging when used with a lot pf pellets and the cold break. Does anyone know what size screen the hop stopper uses? Would the 30x30 mesh work better?

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Old 06-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6080 Times on 5235 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Fry Pan Spatter Screen = $1.00 @ Dollar Tree or $4.99 for a set of 3 (different sized) @ WalMart, Target, Cosco, etc...

Stainless Steel fishing line from Bass Pro $3.99 / 50ft spool + shipping (if needed) - Also try other fishing and tackle shops and look in the salt water fishing areas.

OR

You could try using JB Weld. Manufacturer claims it's Non-Toxic but does not have it NSF or FDA approved for food surface contact.

It can be made a LOT cheaper than the manufactured product but, you may have to make a few to get the right size, shape, and attachment configuration.

I use the famed hop bag as seen in various places here on HBT (look for the photo's) in combination with a homemade hop stopper. But then, I also use a plate chiller and don't want to risk having it plug up with debris needlessly.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just bought a hop stopper last week, and it works awesome! I had my doubts at first, but zero clogs(I use a cfc). I was tired of using the old homemade hop bag, this thing is really worth the money. I looked at the mesh, and it looks amazingly similar to the mesh on a tea ball that I got at wal-maet for dry hopping. If that helps.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts

I tried a homemade hopstopper for a while, but I like the suspended hop bag much better. I get the cold break into the fermenter, but that doesn't really bother me as it doesn't affect the beer. FYI - I never had much success whirlpooling either.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 23

+1 for the suspended hop bag

Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
I tried a homemade hopstopper for a while, but I like the suspended hop bag much better. I get the cold break into the fermenter, but that doesn't really bother me as it doesn't affect the beer. FYI - I never had much success whirlpooling either.
I am considering the hop bag too. I would like to keep as much of the cold break out of the fermenter, not that it really matters, but it just seems to make harvesting yeast easier.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I am also interested in any kind of home made hopstoppers; I am making a brew this weekend with some whole leaf hops (and hop pellets) and would like to keep them out of the fermenter.

I have an extra braided hose from an old mash tun, any reason this will not work?? Will it clog more easily with hot break/hop pellets?

Neal

p.s. I can never get a whirlpool to work correctly either

Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 725 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Make a hop bag.

I've used a mesh screen around my wort chiller.
I've whirlpooled.

The suspended hop bag is cheap and easy and gives you crystal clear wort in the fermenter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	HopBag1.jpg
Views:	2042
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	5827

Name:	HopBag3.jpg
Views:	2020
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	5828

Name:	HopBag6.jpg
Views:	2090
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	5829

Name:	clearwort1.jpg
Views:	2005
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	5830

Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

/subscribed

Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a similar hop bag to biermunchers and hated it. I don't think your hops utilization is as good, and who knows what's leeching off of the pvc. It works for a lot of guy's but not me.