Fruit Beer Bananas On The Beach Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 in bottle
This is a direct Knock off of debaniel recipe for Bananas foster. The 2 differences are that I used ALL Fuggle Hops, and bottled with Malibu Banana. This seems more like an easy going barefoot in the sand beer than an uptight tuxedo wearing Bananas Foster. So I changed the recipe a bit...and the name.

1 lbs. American Crystal 120°L
0.25 lbs. Belgian Special B
6.4 lbs. Liquid Wheat Extract
1 lbs. Candi Sugar Dark

1.5 oz. Fuggle Hops boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle boiled 15 min.

Yeast : WYeast 3068 No starter...Just tossed the tube in the primary.

The secret to this fine drink is bottling. Add 4 oz Priming Sugar, 750 ML of Malibu Banana Rum, and 2 cups of Appleton Estates Rum.

This turns out to be a typical cloudy 3068 beer, NICE banana flavor, and a good bit of alcohol. My rough calculations put it at around 7 1/2%

Add 4 oz Priming Sugar, 750 ML of Malibu Banana Rum, and 2 cups of Appleton Estates Rum.

Sounds great, but isn't that a lot of sugar for bottling? Any bombs? I was thinking of bottling my Orange Honey Hefe recently with 750ml of Tripel Sec, but no other sugars.

Sounds great, but isn't that a lot of sugar for bottling? Any bombs? I was thinking of bottling my Orange Honey Hefe recently with 750ml of Tripel Sec, but no other sugars.

You caught me with the Orange Honey, did you add the Tripel Sec yet?

i want to make this beer. i guess i should wait a little though. i am still waiting for my first batch to condition.

i might need a little more experience before an all grain

i might need a little more experience before an all grain

It's Extract...with steeping grains. The title is just wrong.

as for the bottling sugars...yes....over carbed for certain. I will cut back the sugar to 2 oz....I may even try NO Extra Sugar. I'd sure say it's double carbed with the sugar from the rum...Maybe NO sugar is the way to go.

There's something in Randy Mosher's book about bottling with liquor and how to tell how much sugar is in it... I'll try and remember to look it up.

is this to advanced for a 3rd or 4th batch. i am going to be brewing next week...should i try it. the only thing i've done so far is take the can, dump it in with the dry malt extract and boil. cool, pitch some yeast and wait. is it much more involved than that?

is this to advanced for a 3rd or 4th batch. i am going to be brewing next week...should i try it. the only thing i've done so far is take the can, dump it in with the dry malt extract and boil. cool, pitch some yeast and wait. is it much more involved than that?

JonP....Clear your PM In Box....I can't respond to you.

ANYONE? How was this? I am considering this one. How'd it turn out? how was the priming ingredients? Any changes? WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED in hearing quick replies....

i made it a few months ago. it was awesome. i kegged it. i added no extra sugar, just the rum. the carb was pretty light, but after a few days in the keezer under co2 pressure the carb was just right.

other than that, it tasted awesome. thick head that smells like bananas

if i make it it is going to be bottled, i dont keg yet. do you think it would need some sugar then?

i am not sure. i've never bottled. i am sure someone will chime in and help though. you might need some, but i dont want to tell you to add sugar and then have bottle bombs on your hands

There's something in Randy Mosher's book about bottling with liquor and how to tell how much sugar is in it... I'll try and remember to look it up.
hey dubbeldach, did you find the info about bottling with liquor? i'd be curious to see.

I'd be interested to know how much priming sugar someone would suggest (without the risk of bottle bombs) while using the priming liquor. n e one brewed this using natural carb. recently?

anyone on bottle info? have my second hefe finishing up and this is just too crazy to not throw on that yummy yeast cake.... please someone stop the madness and bottle bombs!!!!!

Which appleton estate rum did you use? The v/x, special, 30 year old? Sorry, but i'm a rum noob so I don't really know which to get.

Brandon

i have my dunkle in secondary still lookin for a proper bottle carb? im going to use jacquins banana liqueur (50proof of banana goodness) maybe 375ml and 1/4 brown sugar to bottle? i think that should be plenty of sugars...thoughts anyone with alc. bottling?

I just looked through Mosher's Radical Brewing and found the equation for calculating the sugar content of liquors. I don't have the time right now to do the math for determining the Malibu/Appleton quantities to use but here is the example that is laid out for Frangelico:

Start by measuring the specific gravity of the liquor. You have to subtract the effect of the alcohol present, which is a known quantity (specific grav 0.789) and then determine the precise amount of sugar present. For every 10 proof add 1.06 Plato to the measured gravity of the alcohol.

Frangelico is 21.6 degrees Plato, 56 proof (28% alcohol/volume)
56 (proof) x 1.06 degrees Plato = 5.91 Plato --> correction for alcohol
Add for alcohol: 21.6 + 5.91 Plato = 27.5 Plato (% sugar)
Liquor quantity: 6oz by weight x 27.5% (sugar as Plato) = 1.65 oz corn sugar equiv.
So basically 6oz of Frangelico is equal to 1.65oz of corn sugar

I am going to update this in the next few weeks with the quantities of Malibu/Appleton used but feel free to PM me with questions.

So it looks like 750mL of Malibu is plenty of sugars to meet the style on this beer. If you do the math, Malibu is 42 proof/12 Plato - 25.4 ounces (750mL) is the equivalent of 4.2 ounces of corn sugar. I brewed this one a little over a week ago and am bottling tomorrow with the 750 and 2 cups of appleton v/x. That gives me ~2.5 vol of carbonation on my batch....I'll let you know if things start blowing up...
:ban::ban::ban:

The carbonation wound up OK but could have been a little higher. I entered this in the Sam Adams Longshot competition last year and scored a 30. The notes from the judges said the carbonation was 'meduim (on the low side for dunkel)' and 'mouthfeel should be more creamy'.

I lost major points because there were some detectable phenolics which was probably from my lack of temp control. Oh well....may be brewing this again some day, I will update if I do.

so i just plugged this recipe into beercalculus and it came up with an srm of 34 (black??) Seems a little high for a dunkel. Anybody who made this what color did your beer turn out?

I bottled this recipe a few weeks ago and to anyone looking to try this, these are my notes so far.

I used the 750ml of malibu, 2 cups of appleton and 2 oz of sugar to prime with, and it's a little over carbed, but no bombs or anything, but i do need a very tall glass to hold all the foam. So maybe try 1.5 oz or 1.75 oz of sugar and it should be close to perfect.

Week 1 after bottling,
For taste i find the appleton flavour kind of overpowers the banana to me, and i remembered after tasting that i don't like appleton rum, so try appleton before and see if you like it, if not substitute for something else.
I'll be honest, week 1 tasted bad, i thought it was going to be 5 gallons of gross, but i'll give it time.

2.5 weeks,
The strongest taste was still apleton, but it mellowed out a bit to be drinkable, still don't notice much in the way of banana flavour, but there was something else in the background(i assume the malibu)

4.5 weeks,
The appleton flavour has mellowed enough to not be recognisable as appleton, the other something else flavour is mostly gone, still not much banana flavour, but it has a bit of a molassasy taste, i assume from the rum(since it's made from molassas) but good enough that i drank more than a few.

I'll try to update this as i go, but i'll give it a few weeks before i get into it again.

At this point though be careful, i made the mistake of drinking 5 of these in the time i would normally drink 5 regular beers, which amounted to me chugging 10 beer in a relativly short period of time, which brought the usual effects of talking loudly, swearing a lot, not being too steady, then hiccups and a headache the next morning that just wouldn't go away.

Latest posts

Back