Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Northern Brewer kits

Old 06-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Northern Brewer kits

What's the thought about the kits from Northern Brewer? I'm looking for a new kit, perhaps an Irish Red or an ESB. Has anyone had good luck with the kits from NB? I noticed in their general instructions that they recommend boiling in only 1 1/2 gallons. It seems low to me. What's the reason for the low volume?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I just received an order from Northern Brewer. It's very similar to their altbier kit, with a few changes of my own. Everything arrived on time and the ingredients seem to be good quality. One thing I've noticed about their extract kit's that I appreciate is that they consist of grains, extract (they make the liquid extract), hops and yeast (Wyeast Activator). There's not a bunch of stuff like maltodextrin or corn sugar that, IMO, you don't really need. I love my LHBS, but when I shop online it will always be from Northern Brewer.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 06-09-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
Greggy
Recipes 

NB is the ticket. DO Not hesitate to order from them. I like the fact that their kits don't contain some old packets of dry yeast, but contain wyeast instead. Their kits are solid, the directions are great, and the stuff is great to deal with.

Greg

Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
I just received an order from Northern Brewer. It's very similar to their altbier kit, with a few changes of my own. Everything arrived on time and the ingredients seem to be good quality. One thing I've noticed about their extract kit's that I appreciate is that they consist of grains, extract (they make the liquid extract), hops and yeast (Wyeast Activator). There's not a bunch of stuff like maltodextrin or corn sugar that, IMO, you don't really need. I love my LHBS, but when I shop online it will always be from Northern Brewer.
Just for clarification: They do not make their own liquid extract. They imply that they make it, but it is made by Breiss.

Nothing to hold against NB.

Forrest

Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Northern Brewer is a fantastic place and I highly recommend them. Great people and excellent customer service. AUSTIN HOMEBREW SUPPLY (who actually spends a lot of time on this forum) and Midwest Supplies are also great places to order from.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Just for clarification: They do not make their own liquid extract. They imply that they make it, but it is made by Breiss.

Nothing to hold against NB.

Forrest
Interesting. I just assumed (you know what happens when we assume ) that they made it because they put Northern Brewer labels on it. Oh well, I like Briess and I still like Northern Brewer. Thanks for the info Forrest.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

they are a great company never had any problems with them at all and i have made their irish red and it was pretty damn good.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblvsn View Post
Northern Brewer is a fantastic place and I highly recommend them. Great people and excellent customer service. AUSTIN HOMEBREW SUPPLY (who actually spends a lot of time on this forum) and Midwest Supplies are also great places to order from.
+1 for all the above!

You can't go wrong with Northern or Austin Homebrew. I have ordered many kits from both and had great results. The one place I have had some bad stuff come in from was morebeer, I stopped ordering from them last summer.
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 06-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
sansbrew24
Recipes 

just got done drinking their Irish red... loved it.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Gedvondur

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default NB Kits

The only NB kit we have ever had that was inferior was the NB Phat Tire kit. There was nothing wrong with the quality of the ingredients in the kit, only that the recipe used for the kit was a bit inferior if you were looking for a Fat Tire clone.

It still made good beer, just not as good as other Fat Tire recipes available.

Every other NB kit I have bought was excellent.

Gedvondur