Euro Beer travels - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Euro Beer travels
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,088
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Just back from a Europe trip. In Amsterdam, check out In de Wildeman - over 200 bottled beers and 17 on tap. In Brussels, Delirium Cafe is a must visit. Guinness record holder for the most beers available - over 2,000! 25 on tap.

From Brussels, you can make a day trip to Bruges and visit the De Halve Maan brewery (fun) and also make a train stop in Gent to visit Brouwerij Huyghe, home of the famous Delirium Tremens - world beer champion in 1998.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
DiscoFetus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Media, PA
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Just back from a Europe trip. In Amsterdam, check out In de Wildeman - over 200 bottled beers and 17 on tap. In Brussels, Delirium Cafe is a must visit. Guinness record holder for the most beers available - over 2,000! 25 on tap.

From Brussels, you can make a day trip to Bruges and visit the De Halve Maan brewery (fun) and also make a train stop in Gent to visit Brouwerij Huyghe, home of the famous Delirium Tremens - world beer champion in 1998.
Nice, I'll check out the places mentioned outside of Brussels. I'm hoping they have public trans out that way. In de wildeman looks badass. Thanks!


__________________
The intermediate state between capitalism and socialism is alcoholism.

~Dylan Thomas

Barefoot Lion Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
mysterio
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 696
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Brussels is a great place to drink beer, agreed Cantillon is well worth a stop. Good Beer Guide Belgium is the guide to get.
__________________
Brewlog

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Shaggy
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
South Side Chicagoland
Posts: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Haven't been to the rest, but I have been to Amsterdam. There's a pub named Cafe Gollem. They have 8 taps, and a variety of bottles. Lotsa Belgians. Great place!

www.cafegollem.nl

Love that pub as well as Amsterdam. Been there a few time yet am always day dreaming when I'll be back lol.

Another GREAT place to go is:

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/eng/index.html


For carry out, check this place:

http://www.debierkoning.nl/beta/inde...dy=infoUK.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
DiscoFetus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Media, PA
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Love that pub as well as Amsterdam. Been there a few time yet am always day dreaming when I'll be back lol.

Another GREAT place to go is:

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/eng/index.html


For carry out, check this place:

http://www.debierkoning.nl/beta/inde...dy=infoUK.html
Sweet. All added to the list. There will be full reports.
__________________
The intermediate state between capitalism and socialism is alcoholism.

~Dylan Thomas

Barefoot Lion Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
DiscoFetus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Media, PA
Posts: 72

Alright kids, I'm off for my tour. Super stoked and have a lot of places that I intend on seeing...drinking... Thanks for all the suggestions, I have them on my list!
__________________
The intermediate state between capitalism and socialism is alcoholism.

~Dylan Thomas

Barefoot Lion Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #17
DiscoFetus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Media, PA
Posts: 72

The trip was awesome. Had some amazing beers. I lost a day in Brussels due to food poisoning and ended up missing out on some good stuff, but Amsterdam had some amazing breweries and pubs. Thanks for all the suggestions. Cafe Gollem rocked! We hit up some amazing microbrews in Copenhagen. I highly recommend a little place called Brewpub. They had some really great beers on tap. I'm working on getting pics into photobucket.
__________________
The intermediate state between capitalism and socialism is alcoholism.

~Dylan Thomas

Barefoot Lion Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #18
Shaggy
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
South Side Chicagoland
Posts: 251

Thanks for the update and glad you had a blast!
Looking forward to any pix when you get them up...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
ArcaneXor
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 4,467
Liked 117 Times on 104 Posts


Next time, if you can make it to Cologne, it's definitely a must-do stop - well worth going out of your way for. It has one of Europe's most unique beer cultures and is a magnificent city. Try the Frueh and Muehlen pubs there.
And, if you are so inclined, Düsseldorf with its Alt beers is just downriver.

Try to make it during the Karneval season, and it's like being on another planet - imagine a million people in costumes parading through the city, singing and drinking Koelsch and Appelkorn. Blows Oktoberfest out of the water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:23 AM   #20
DiscoFetus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Media, PA
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Next time, if you can make it to Cologne, it's definitely a must-do stop - well worth going out of your way for. It has one of Europe's most unique beer cultures and is a magnificent city. Try the Frueh and Muehlen pubs there.
And, if you are so inclined, Düsseldorf with its Alt beers is just downriver.

Try to make it during the Karneval season, and it's like being on another planet - imagine a million people in costumes parading through the city, singing and drinking Koelsch and Appelkorn. Blows Oktoberfest out of the water.
I really wanted to visit these places too. Sadly, time didn't permit that.

Here's the first set of pics from Copenhagen!
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...us/Copenhagen/

Let me know if it doesn't work.


__________________
The intermediate state between capitalism and socialism is alcoholism.

~Dylan Thomas

Barefoot Lion Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSJ: Cooking up Beer that Travels jcarson83 General Beer Discussion 13 09-04-2009 10:02 PM
My Beer Travels On Vacation Brewsmith Commercial Brew Discussion 26 08-29-2009 05:33 AM


Forum Jump