Caramel Apple Mead - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead Recipes > Caramel Apple Mead

Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #91
beninan
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Maine
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

My brother and I made this today, sort of a going away/returning present for him. He received a job offer animating in New Zealand for a year, so we will have to crack open the first bottle when he gets back!

My OG was 1.138. Also I goofed and added the 2 vanilla beans to the primary. Oh well, I'll just have to see how this turns out.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #92
Bugaboo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Beer In My Mouthland
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any reason someone couldn't replace the DME with pale malt? Also I'm having trouble finding buckwheat honey, I was thinking maybe I could replace it with grain. I haven't had buckwheat honey so I could say what it tastes like.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #93
beninan
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugaboo View Post
Any reason someone couldn't replace the DME with pale malt? Also I'm having trouble finding buckwheat honey, I was thinking maybe I could replace it with grain. I haven't had buckwheat honey so I could say what it tastes like.
It tastes like honey with a lot of earthy type flavors followed by a kick to the face from David Beckham. I'm not sure if there is a malt to replace that with. Worse case scenario, I think I would swap it out for more orange blossom honey.

I bought my buckwheat from my local heath food store in 1 lb containers for $5 each.

PS: If you spill a little of the must on the kitchen floor, be sure clean it all up. SWMBO was not amused.

Reason: add on post script

Newsman Likes This 
Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #94
Bugaboo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Beer In My Mouthland
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this up to recipe todat, but exchanged 3.21 #s of maris otter for the DME. Added 4 gallons of apple juice and did not reach 5 gallon volume. I'm sure it's because of extra grain absorption. Good news is that my gravity was above the limit of my refractometer, so I added some more juice and some water to get it up to volume and ended with 1.116 OG. Definitely close enough for me. Now for the long wait

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #95
PUGBREW

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Lakewood, washington

Racked mine over to and added the vanilla bean just like the recipe said. Have many people once they racked to secondary had much activity in the bubbler? When I racked it over I had almost no activity (one in a min or 2). Trying to make sure I just didn't stall it. Work has been crazy So I will pull a gravity again tomorrow. The main reason to ask is the first batch of mead I made is still bubbling after a good month and half on a carboy. This one seems to have settled out a lot faster

Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 AM   #96
wildeagles87
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Emeryville, CA

Well 6 months later I've tried it and it is awesome. Worth the wait. As for the the secondary I had barely any activity if at all. Also this was my first mead attempt and am happy to say I will be making another very soon.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #97
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just made 6 gallons with meadowfoam honey, the smell is amazing. I've never used k1 before. Also I've never had to use a blowoff tube either... until now. This is fermenting like mad. I over shot my SG a little so I think this will end up around 15% after I top it up with cider once primary is done.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #98
beninan
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Maine

Mine ended up at 15.7%, following this recipe. OG 1.138, FG 1.018.

I made this on 11/23/10 and watched it until the gravity stopped dropping and settled to 1.022, so I stabilized it on 3/13/11. It tasted very sweet at the time, almost too sweet, so I didn't add the additional pound of buckwheat honey after stabilizing. I bottled it on 9/25/11 after bulk aging it for 6 months. The gravity had dropped while aging, which I found to be weird, because the gravity had not changed for 2 months before aging, I didn't add any more fermentables, and I stabilized it. Gravity at bottling time- 1.018. It still tastes great, just a lot more dry tasting than it was 6 months prior.

I drank the residuals from my bottling bucket with a cut of steak. It paired very well. We'll see how it ages in the next several months.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #99
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Any thoughts on oaking this?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #100
CidahMastah

Recipes 

Nov 2010
, New York
Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts

I started a 2 gallon batch of this about 2 weeks ago (11/5/11) - sounds interesting and hope it turns out. I have mine fermenting in a fermentation chamber at 70F.

Unfortunately I was doing two mead recipes at the same time and added all the buckwheat honey upfront - wonder why my og was so high... haha. Well they blew over pretty good and I ended up racking into my glas jugs and needing to add water to each (about two cups each). Hopefully it evens out the excess buckwheat addition. I am now in secondary with 2 vanilla beans.

Looking forward to it either way!