Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Better explain the band aid taste

Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
ndhowlett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Better explain the band aid taste

Can anyone better explain the band aid taste? I'm on my third AG, and bottling all my brew. The last two beers have had a "homebrew" taste. It's not necessarily a bad taste but I could possibly say a slight band aid taste. All the beers are definitely drinkable, but there's that taste in there that I can't get around. All of these beers have been light beers (wheat, pils, and pale ale). I know lighter beers are easier affected by off flavors, so.......

Is the "Band Aid" taste overwhelming? I'm referring to an infection happening and the "Band-Aid" taste that is supposed to be associated with it.

I don't want to freak out, because I've also seen threads that talk about that "homebrew" taste. Mine could be either one to be honest. Any experience, advice to get rid of the taste would be appreciated. It' pretty depressing!!

Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Bone dry
Keg 2: Begging for beer

Old 06-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think the bandaid taste is associated with both infections of things like brettanomyces and using equipment sanitized with bleach and not properly rinsed. I guess it could be tannins but I wouldnt describe that as a bandaid taste. can you describe your AG process, times, temps, volumes. efficiency that kind of stuff?

Old 06-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.
-John Palmer

Old 06-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

What do you mean by "homebrew" taste? I've never seen this used as an off-flavor descriptor.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
ndhowlett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64806

This thread has a discussion on the "homebrew taste"

My procedures are typical, nothing crazy. The only thing I haven't done with these brews is incorporate a "mash out" before I do my first runnings. I mash in a rectangular cooler, I batch sparge, and I use starsan as my sanitizer, I use store bought drinking water for every beer. Never had this problem with extract brews.

One thing of note, as most new homebrewers, I'm woring on my efficiency and I've been having problems. I'd say these beers are a little on the weaker side, but it shouldn't make it taste off right????
Secondary 2:

Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
ndhowlett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One other thing I haven't been doing is cooling my priming mixture. I just tossed it right in a few minutes after boiling. I now know it's wrong, but would it affect the whole batch that drastically??
Secondary 2:

Old 06-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ive never worried about cooling my priming solution and its never caused me any problems.

also you said this is your third AG batch but the first one was fine? what if anything has changed from the first batch? If everything is that same it could be an infection, maybe a scratch in some of the plastic equipment the beer comes into contact with.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
ndhowlett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The second one was fine, the first and third have that taste. I can't really tell if it's band aid or homebrewish. It's definitely noticeable though. If I compared it to a commercial brand that I would make a clone of you would definitely notice the difference, I haven't done a clone yet, maybe that would be a good measure to see if it's the recipe or beer I'm making or something in my procedures.

I'm going to take one up to the LHBS and see what they think.
Secondary 2:

Old 06-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1269 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 34

What kind of yeast have you used and what fermentation temps?
July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
ndhowlett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The low 70's for fermenting temp, I used a california lager yeast for pilsner and a dry nottingham for Ed Wort's brew haus pale ale.

Secondary 2: