Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chimay Grand Reserve Clone?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 35,079
Liked 3016 Times on 2602 Posts
Likes Given: 2135

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRainH2o View Post
Can anyone dummy this down to an extract version for me? Thanks.
I ran across this extract/steeping grains version on midwest site; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/noble-trappist-ale.html
It also says that saving the yeast from a bottle of Chimay will "perfect this recipe". It's described as a regular strength trappist ale. The Chimay blue label is a trappist,but I think is stronger?...$32.49 for the kit including the candi sugar,etc.
**Dang,didn't look at the dates. Holy necropost!


__________________
My sci-fi & home brewing books on amazon-kindle now! New additions coming!
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Tarks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 268
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Here's one I ran across a while back. I haven't brewed it yet, but I have all the ingredients for it and it's on my to do list.

OG: 1.087
FG: 1.015
SRM: 34 (amber with some red tones)
IBU: 27
ABV: 9.0%

For 5 gal recipe:

13.33lbs Belgian 2-row Pilsner Malt
8 oz Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
6 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz Belgian Special B Malt
2.5 oz British Chocolate Malt

Single infusion mash at 149F for 90 minutes, 1.1-1.25 qts water/lb grain. Soften water by diluting with RO or distilled water. 3 parts distilled to 1 part tap recommended. You need a highly fermentable wort.

Hops:
1/2 oz Yakima Magnum - 60 minutes boil
1/2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 15 minutes boil
1/4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 2 min boil

Other Additions:
1.5 lbs Belgian Dark Candi Sugar - 60 minutes boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 15 minutes boil
1 tsp Irish Moss - 15 minutes boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 2 minutes boil

Ferment at 65F with WLP500 Trapist Ale yeast (or Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale). Primary for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon to secondary, prime beer in secondary with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 6 weeks) with:

1/2 cup corn sugar and 1/3 cup Belgian candi sugar that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70F for approximately 6 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.

Love to try this one, but I've got some other beers on deck first.

Did you ever get around to brewing this? I'm thinking of giving it a go.


Tarks is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Hackwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 635
Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr

I ran across this extract/steeping grains version on midwest site; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/noble-trappist-ale.html
**Dang,didn't look at the dates. Holy necropost!

haha. I was thinking that when I posted, but the recipe sounds great so had to push it up.
__________________
Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter
.
Hackwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Hackwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 635
Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Brewed this up last night. SG at 1.093 and the wort tasted AWESOME!
__________________
Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter
.
Hackwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #15
Hackwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 635
Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Racked to secondary last night. S.G. was already at 1.005. Adding additional yeast tonight or tomorrow.

Tasted AWESOME!
__________________
Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter
.
Hackwood is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
Tarks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 268
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I'm 3 weeks into fermentation and I reached my FG without needing a second dose of yeast. Tastes great but my color is way off. My 1st brew that the color is off and my first brew using dark candy sugar so I'm thinking I'm not getting 275 SRM from the candy sugar.

I bought my sugar from Northern Brewer and quoted off their site, "Rated at 275L; actual color contribution is lower." I'm guessing my color of my beer is in the 20 SRM range at best, which would mean I only got approx 75 SRM from the candy sugar. Anyone else experiencing the same results?
Tarks is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #17
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,633
Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Ferment at 65F with WLP500 Trapist Ale yeast (or Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale).
the correct Wyeast equivalent is 1214.

1388 is the Duvel strain.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Oceantendency's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 394
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Here's one I ran across a while back. I haven't brewed it yet, but I have all the ingredients for it and it's on my to do list.

OG: 1.087
FG: 1.015
SRM: 34 (amber with some red tones)
IBU: 27
ABV: 9.0%

For 5 gal recipe:

13.33lbs Belgian 2-row Pilsner Malt
8 oz Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
6 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz Belgian Special B Malt
2.5 oz British Chocolate Malt

Single infusion mash at 149F for 90 minutes, 1.1-1.25 qts water/lb grain. Soften water by diluting with RO or distilled water. 3 parts distilled to 1 part tap recommended. You need a highly fermentable wort.

Hops:
1/2 oz Yakima Magnum - 60 minutes boil
1/2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 15 minutes boil
1/4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 2 min boil

Other Additions:
1.5 lbs Belgian Dark Candi Sugar - 60 minutes boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 15 minutes boil
1 tsp Irish Moss - 15 minutes boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 2 minutes boil

Ferment at 65F with WLP500 Trapist Ale yeast (or Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale). Primary for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon to secondary, prime beer in secondary with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 6 weeks) with:

1/2 cup corn sugar and 1/3 cup Belgian candi sugar that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70F for approximately 6 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.

Love to try this one, but I've got some other beers on deck first.
Problem with your recipe is that you need 1lb of Caravienne (better color match and lose the chocolate malt) and 1lb of Torrified Wheat for head retention. Also they use Nugget and Hallertau (hence why your IBU's are off base). You forgot to slowly ramp up your temp to 68* (WLP530 is a better match plus you still need a BIG starter). You should leave in primary til you hit your FG are atleast 90ish% of your target FG before transferring and repitching fresh yeast or wort then let it ride for atleast 6-8weeks before bottling, which to be authentic you should repitch yeast or Candied Syrup instead of corn sugar, and Cellar for 9 months. Grains of Paradise are not necessary but a good addition.
__________________
Cronical: American IPA
Bottle: Choco Oat Stout, Caramel Hefe, Biere de Boucher, El Porto Robusto, Wulff Lager, Chicken Chap Brown Ale , Creamy Cream Ale.
On Tap: Caramel Hefe
Oceantendency is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #19
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,633
Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceantendency View Post
(WLP530 is a better match
wlp530 is westmalle.
wlp500 is the chimay strain.
http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

methinks the 500 is the way to go, if you're going to make a chimay clone.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Oceantendency's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 394
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default

Never had Westmalle, can't go wrong with either 530 or 500. I've had great luck with both.


__________________
Cronical: American IPA
Bottle: Choco Oat Stout, Caramel Hefe, Biere de Boucher, El Porto Robusto, Wulff Lager, Chicken Chap Brown Ale , Creamy Cream Ale.
On Tap: Caramel Hefe
Oceantendency is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want: Goose Island Reserve Matilda Clone Synovia Recipes/Ingredients 5 07-29-2009 01:41 PM
Does Anybody Have A Recipe For St. Sebastian Grand Reserve? coryforsenate Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-21-2009 03:47 PM
Stille Nacht Reserve Clone, sorta landhoney Recipes/Ingredients 0 11-10-2007 06:00 AM
Henry Weinhard private reserve/clone dennc2 Recipes/Ingredients 0 01-01-2007 04:24 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS