Speed up Bottle Carbonation - Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike4420

Reaction score
Its been 2 weeks since I bottled, I used 3/4 cup sugar which is enough for 5 gallons. I ended up only have 4 gallons in the bottling bucket so I know I have enough sugar in them but I tried one last night and it still seems alittle flat. I brewed this for a family get to gether this weekend. Is there any way to speed up the carbonation process for Sunday? Would keeping them at room temp or in the fridge help speed the process?

Cheers,
Mike

Room temp is where you ant them for carbonation and conditioning, and will deffinatley carb a lot faster. Probably wont carb at all in the frige, as the yeasties will be sleeping.

Some beers carb quicker than others. Maybe shake them up and keep someplace warm for a while-that's helped me.

Warm them up to around 70F. Take the case and turn it upside down and or swirl each individual bottles to rouse all the yeast into suspension. DO this twice a day. That with the warmer temps usually does the trick for me.

-Todd

Some beers carb quicker than others. Maybe shake them up and keep someplace warm for a while-that's helped me.

NOT if you want them for Sunday I wouldn't shake them...Unless it's a heff, I don't think you want to serve your family cloudy beer...I wouldn't rouse the yeast if you want them to be clear in 48 hours

What style of beer is it?

You really can't speed up carbonation...it is a natural process that has it's own agenda. If it has been 2 weeks, depending on the style of the beer, you are getting close....but not there yet.

Don't forget you need to chill them before you serve them (Ideally you want at least 48 hours, though a week is beter) But they should at least chill for 24 hours,...That means they need to be carbed by tomorrow...

And that's not even considering the idea of the beer still being "green tasting."

If this is the first time you're serving homebrew to your family/friends? I hate to dissapoint you, but I personally wouldn't...You want your family judging your efforts on beer that's not really ready?

I would check them tomorrow night, if it's carbed, then chill them and serve, warning your friends that it is still young...But if it's not carbed by tomorrow night...then I'd buy some good beer instead, and give them a raincheck.

Bottling Mantra:

21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees

I’ll be honest. I’m afraid you won’t be serving this beer this weekend.

Save it for another occasion. Maybe chill a bottle or two the night before and let it be “sampled” by your guests. But your work and their expectations will be undermined if you try and force an undone beer down their throats. You’ll also be setting back the image of Homebrewing by serving green beer to your guests.

Bottling Mantra:

Save it for another occasion. Maybe chill a bottle or two the night before and let it be “sampled” by your guests. But you work and their expectations will be undermined if you try and force an undone beer down their throats. You’ll also be setting back the image of Homebrewing by serving green beer to your guests.

EXACTLY!!!!!

This explains why you should wait...

http://homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

I'm lucky, since my Nephews was into this hobby a couple years before me, and my family's into good beers, my family is more understanding, I can get away with bringing a beer that is "not quite there yet," and they can undrstand, knowing that the next time I bring it over it will be better, and they have commented on the difference...It's especially true with my nephew's wines, we've tasted many really yound ones on one holiday, and on the next had them again and discussed the way they've changed. It's actualy fun....

But if your family's not that knowlegeable about beers, then all they are going to think is that homebrew sux.

Take a look at this thread about comments people make about homebrew...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54730

Thanks for all the reply's!

I definetly learned some stuff from this.

My family is all Miller/Bud Lite drinkers (except for my mom who really likes this blueberry beer, Wild Blue). I brought over some Belgian Dubble before and they all said they enjoyed it. I brewed a Spiced up Hefer this time and they were looking foreword to it so I will just bring a bottle to sample and pick up some good brew from the store.

That post you linked to Revvy was excellent!

Well now, a Hefe, that's a horse of a different color. You should be able to get away with swirling AND serving them so soon after bottling if they have the carbonation level desired. Unless by spiced up you meant actual spices. Then you'd need a bit more time for everything to come together.

Did you taste test warm or cold? Cooler beers will dissolve more of the CO2 from headspace into the beer, but it takes a lil bit of time (hence the 24 hr chilling minimum posted). If you tested warm that giant psssst or gas escaping will mostly be in solution if you chill first.

Well now, a Hefe, that's a horse of a different color. You should be able to get away with swirling AND serving them so soon after bottling if they have the carbonation level desired. Unless by spiced up you meant actual spices. Then you'd need a bit more time for everything to come together.

Did you taste test warm or cold? Cooler beers will dissolve more of the CO2 from headspace into the beer, but it takes a lil bit of time (hence the 24 hr chilling minimum posted). If you tested warm that giant psssst or gas escaping will mostly be in solution if you chill first.

Yes I added Ginger, Orange, cinnamin... I only chilled it for about a hour, the ginger was dominant. I think it will turn out good, once given the appropriate amount of time. Yesterday I moved the bottles from the basement (I was keeping them too cold) swirled up a bottle and will throw it in the fridge later for a 24 hour chill time.

:mug:

Just to follow up on this... The swirl, appropriate temp and 24 hour chill time really helped. We have another family get together in 2 weeks so I'll bring more then. Lesson learned.

Back