Prison 'shine - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Prison 'shine

Old 03-06-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
The Maddock
Recipes 

Jan 2006

Hello, I'm back with another ridiculous post.

I just heard, on a TV show, about prisoners making moonshine from apples. How is that possible? The following issues come to mind when I think of this:

- Where would they get reliable yeast for making the wash. I'm sure there isn't bread baking going on in the pen' kitchen.

-Where would they hide the fermentation vessel for the 2 weeks - 1 month it takes to brew the wash, amidst kitchen inspections and guards roaming?

-Where would they permanently hide their pot still, and how would they distill the wash (it would probably stink to hell) under the guards noses? I'm not going to even ask how they would make the still... Those guys are DIY geniuses.

-I'm sure most of them are too depraved to imagine this, but is it worth going blind in a maximum security facility, with hundreds of murdering foes breathing down your neck. I can't imagine them taking someone out of max. security for claiming to be blind, as it can be faked with a little discipline.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've never heard of distilled spirits being made in prison. Here's how they make their hooch: http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000373.php

As for faking being blind, I'm certain a doctor could tell within a few minutes if a person were faking.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 03-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Lou
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Chicago, IL
Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
I've never heard of distilled spirits being made in prison. Here's how they make their hooch: http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000373.php

As for faking being blind, I'm certain a doctor could tell within a few minutes if a person were faking.
that's awesome

Old 03-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

I don't know this from experience but they tend to keep their brew (hooch?) in their toilet while it is fermenting. Not sure what they do when they need that toilet for other reasons.
I guess there is always the chance a guard would find it but would you prefer to be in prison or drunk and in prison?

Old 03-07-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

May 2005
Deepest, darkest Eastern NC
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneFloyd
I don't know this from experience but they tend to keep their brew (hooch?) in their toilet while it is fermenting. Not sure what they do when they need that toilet for other reasons.
I guess there is always the chance a guard would find it but would you prefer to be in prison or drunk and in prison?
I vote for " drunk and in prison " . Imagine doing 3-5 years sober !

Old 03-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #6
rewster451

Recipes 

Oct 2005
columbia, MO

Every time I've been in jail I've been drunk (once). I wouldn't say it was fun. It also wasn't my fault (really), and being pissed at someone and drunk at the same time is also not fun. Especially since he was my roommate (this was a couple of years ago, my current roommates are awesome), and when we got out we had to go home together.
Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Old 03-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #7
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

May 2005
Deepest, darkest Eastern NC
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Never been to jail, but I've seen it on TV. Don't even like to watch it on TV without a beer in me. If I had to go, I think drunk would be the way I'd get there !

Old 03-07-2006, 04:18 AM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

jesus... did anyone else read the OTHER things this "Steve" guy has eaten/drunk? The hooch he made was probably one of the LEAST disgusting things in the collection.

-walker

Old 03-07-2006, 04:37 AM   #9
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Texas
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In The Great Escape, they hid all kinds of stuff. And made some kick-ass vodka from potatoes!

Old 03-07-2006, 04:52 AM   #10
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Wimbledon Finals
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard
In The Great Escape, they hid all kinds of stuff. And made some kick-ass vodka from potatoes!
when i was in the brig we used to dip cigarettes in pine-sol and smoke 'em to get high...