Word of warning : Don't Leave Full CO2 Tanks in Hot Car! - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Word of warning : Don't Leave Full CO2 Tanks in Hot Car!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #41
MrGoblin
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Saint-Hubert, Quebec

Ho... just to add up...

For those who lives in a colder area...
Dont leave 2 full keg with and CO2 in a freezing garage!
-2F or -19C is never good for beer or the Refrigerator they're in !
Lost a couple of glasses of beer and had to clean up the mess.

Thanks for all the advices, I've learned a lot reading on this board.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #42
G-E-R-M-A-N
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Houston
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out what happened to a guy on my car forum that had a nitrous bottle blow up. If you have a safety valve malfunction it can kill you. This is the same as a co2 bottle in size. The black part is the bottle shredded apart. This car was in mint condition before.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #43
Aleforge
Recipes 

May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Holy crap, Is the guy ok?
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #44
jspence1
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Having a bottle explode like that is almost impossible. Based on what I see there the tank was modified to hold more pressure that it was designed for, done by doubling up the burst disks, great if you want to sneak a few extra psi in a tank, not so great for living to tell the story. The moral of this story is don't be stupid tanks/burst disks are rated for your protection don't mess with them.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #45
caver95
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Fort Myers, Florida
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So then you are say I should not fill my tanks that are rated to 2640 to 3600 or more? its standard practice in Cave diving. But thats steel tanks, not AL. I will find out how bad it is for them a few are up for hydro this year. I was using a Haskel pump the other day to boost O2, I got a little freaked out the supply after the pump got really hot, I have had friends that have had explosions from boosting o2. and I transfer SLOOOOOW too.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #46
jspence1
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver95 View Post
So then you are say I should not fill my tanks that are rated to 2640 to 3600 or more? its standard practice in Cave diving. But thats steel tanks, not AL. I will find out how bad it is for them a few are up for hydro this year. I was using a Haskel pump the other day to boost O2, I got a little freaked out the supply after the pump got really hot, I have had friends that have had explosions from boosting o2. and I transfer SLOOOOOW too.
like I said unless the tanks were modified they will not explode. I've been know to fill my steel 90's to 3200 as well....how else would I know how it was done We know that tanks are hydro tested to 5/3 their working pressure 4400 PSI for steel. The difference between you and most people is you have knowledge of what you are doing. I'm willing to bet you don't overfill your tanks and put them in a car in the hot sun.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #47
caver95
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Fort Myers, Florida
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
like I said unless the tanks were modified they will not explode. I've been know to fill my steel 90's to 3200 as well....how else would I know how it was done We know that tanks are hydro tested to 5/3 their working pressure 4400 PSI for steel. The difference between you and most people is you have knowledge of what you are doing. I'm willing to bet you don't overfill your tanks and put them in a car in the hot sun.
Of course not, the go in the back of my truck....

Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #48
Mustangfreak
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Osan AB South Korea/Home is Ft Worth Tx
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-E-R-M-A-N View Post
Check out what happened to a guy on my car forum that had a nitrous bottle blow up. If you have a safety valve malfunction it can kill you. This is the same as a co2 bottle in size. The black part is the bottle shredded apart. This car was in mint condition before.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/supacharged21/bradspics032.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/supacharged21/bradspics0302.jpg[/IG]

Yeah, I saw those pics some time way back, don't remember where I saw them though.

It's crazy what 2000 psi will do when iit's unleashed with no regard.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 AM   #49
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-E-R-M-A-N View Post
Check out what happened to a guy on my car forum that had a nitrous bottle blow up.
So when something like that happens...you know...a nitrous bottle exploding. Is it just a little bit funny???...cuz...you know...it's laughing gas after all.

I'm just wondering. You know...was there any sort of upside here?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:32 AM   #50
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I'm guessing that the car owner wasn't chuckling. That car is ****ed up.

Maybe the rest of us can laugh....