Cheap and easy aeration gadget - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap and easy aeration gadget

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
Alamo_Beer
 
Alamo_Beer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Manor, Tx
Posts: 2,439
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


What if you used both? This and the sprayer......


Personally I use a paint stirrer on a drill but I run it backwards so the wort splashes up. I run if for maybe 3-5 min. I've only started to do this on the last couple of batches but fermentation has taken off 'better' it seems and I've been hitting my FG numbers.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 AM   #12
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Coastarine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
New Bern, NC
Posts: 2,516
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


I'm just guessing here, but I think putting the restriction of a spraying nozzle on the wand would slow the flowrate and defeat the effect of pulling the bubbles in through the holes. You'd end up squirting wort out of the holes, which would still aerate it, but not exactly the effect you're talking about.
__________________
SEMPER FIDELIS ET SEMPER PARATUS Bringin' the 'pane...the propane.Coming Up:..[Hefewiezen][BCS Robust Porter][EdWort's Haus Pale Ale][Peated Ale]
Fermenting:.
Conditioning:[Oaked Cider][ESB]
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
Joe Camel
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Charlottetown, PE, Canada
Posts: 284
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
I'm just guessing here, but I think putting the restriction of a spraying nozzle on the wand would slow the flowrate and defeat the effect of pulling the bubbles in through the holes. You'd end up squirting wort out of the holes, which would still aerate it, but not exactly the effect you're talking about.
You're right, this is called a Venturi tube. The principle is that the piece of tube with the holes in it has to be a smaller diameter than the rest of the tubing. This makes the wort speed up through the restriction and cause a pressure drop, sucking air in through the holes. If you you restrict it again at the end with a spraying nozzle, you'll lose the benefit.

One thing you can try is to cut your siphon hose about halfway up and insert the venturi tube there so that there is a foot or two of hose below it. This will allow the air bubbles more time and distance to swirl in the moving wort. This will expose the wort to more surface area of air and should improve oxygenation

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Orfy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Posts: 11,732
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts


I've been using this successfully for years but from copper.





__________________
GET THE GOBLIN
Have a beer on me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
Philip1993
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Posts: 1,636
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


I was thinking that you should put it just above the wort surface inside the fermenter. This way the air/wort mixture gets the maximum contact time. It would make starting the siphon a bit tougher, but...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
stever
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
St. Louis
Posts: 532
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy View Post
I've been using this successfully for years but from copper.


Lets hope you don't run your hand across those holes, they look a wee bit sharp.

Neat idea though, I think I will need to give this a try.
__________________
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #17
jds
 
jds's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,913
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Camel View Post
One thing you can try is to cut your siphon hose about halfway up and insert the venturi tube there so that there is a foot or two of hose below it. This will allow the air bubbles more time and distance to swirl in the moving wort. This will expose the wort to more surface area of air and should improve oxygenation
Yup, I'll be doing this on the next brew -- I'll insert it about halfway down transfer tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
I was thinking that you should put it just above the wort surface inside the fermenter. This way the air/wort mixture gets the maximum contact time. It would make starting the siphon a bit tougher, but...
My keg boiler sits on a stand about 25 inches off the ground, so no siphoning necessary.

Like the copper, Orfy. What's the hole diameter?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Camel View Post
You're right, this is called a Venturi tube. The principle is that the piece of tube with the holes in it has to be a smaller diameter than the rest of the tubing. This makes the wort speed up through the restriction and cause a pressure drop, sucking air in through the holes. If you you restrict it again at the end with a spraying nozzle, you'll lose the benefit.

One thing you can try is to cut your siphon hose about halfway up and insert the venturi tube there so that there is a foot or two of hose below it. This will allow the air bubbles more time and distance to swirl in the moving wort. This will expose the wort to more surface area of air and should improve oxygenation
Are we talking the sum of area of all the small holes vs the discharge area?

Do I understand this right?

If thats the case you can add lots of holes.

If the hole size is 1/32" Then
at 1/8" hose : 15 holes
at 1/4" hose : 60 holes
at 3/8" hose : 135 holes
at 1/2" hose : 240 holes
__________________
Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Joe Camel
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Charlottetown, PE, Canada
Posts: 284
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Are we talking the sum of area of all the small holes vs the discharge area?

Do I understand this right?

If thats the case you can add lots of holes.

If the hole size is 1/32" Then
at 1/8" hose : 15 holes
at 1/4" hose : 60 holes
at 3/8" hose : 135 holes
at 1/2" hose : 240 holes
No, I'm a bit confused about the question, but you really dont need that many holes.

If you insert a small piece of 3/8" outer diameter racking cane into a 3/8id tubing, you'll restrict the cross-sectional area by about half (diameter squared = 4/64 vs 9/64) If you put too many holes in and they add up to the difference or greater, the benefit is lost, you 'll just squirt out the holes rather than suck in air.
That being said, you'll probably do better with 1 or 2 big holes than multiple small ones, 1 1/16" hole has the same cross-sectional area as 4 1/32" ones but the surface tension across the hole will be much less so it'll be easier to suck air in with a smaller pressure drop.

I'd say start with one 1/16" hole and see how it goes with a water siphon, if it looks good, drill another until you don't see gain or it craps out. Then get another piece of cane and drill one or two fewer than the crap out number.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #20
jds
 
jds's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,913
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts


I've probably got 20 paperclip-sized holes in my cane. I'm guessing the holes are (reaches for caliper...) about .050" diameter, based on the paperclip on my desk being .040 dia.

When I look carefully at the cane while it's operating, I see that most of the air comes in the first few holes. This makes sense to me.

I think you'd have to make a LOT of holes to get the wort to come out without restricting the flow somewhere downstream. Given that this gadget is for the KISS-centric brew rig, I'm not planning on optimizing it beyond maybe putting it elsewhere in my outflow hose.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap and easy degasser Brandon O Winemaking Forum 17 12-23-2009 01:35 PM
Easy Aeration Kit Mod iamjonsharp Equipment/Sanitation 1 03-07-2009 02:35 AM
Another Easy Aeration Method.... Schlenkerla General Techniques 18 06-16-2008 07:12 PM
Cheap, easy? Rob85 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-17-2005 12:49 AM


Forum Jump