Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > mini mash question

Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Wild Duk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default mini mash question

is there a rule of thumb on grain to water ratio if i'm steeping grains for a mini mash recipe?

thx

Old 06-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For a true mash where you are seeking enzyme conversion, about 1.5 quarts per pound works well, plus or minus .25 a quart. In a full all grain batch, I tend to use 1.3 qt/lb.

If you are just steeping, I tend to go thinner -- about 2 quarts per pound. But it also depends on how much you are planning to sparge.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

The byo article on countertop mashing uses 1.25 quarts/pound. That's what I've pretty much used as well...Beersmith usually tells me the same thing.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Wild Duk
Recipes 

thanks. the recipe has 4.25 pounds of grains @ 155 for 45 minutes.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1346 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 35

A gallon and a half or so will be fine. Remember that the water itself needs to be a bit hotter than 155 to compensate for the heat the grain will take. Something like 164F is probably about right.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Remember that the water itself needs to be a bit hotter than 155 to compensate for the heat the grain will take. Something like 164F is probably about right.
Bobby's right. I use this strike water temp calculator.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

You measure the temp of your grains, and imput the desired mash temp, and it tells you how hot to heat your water.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Wild Duk
Recipes 

how do you measure the temp. of the grains. just room temp?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk View Post
how do you measure the temp. of the grains. just room temp?
Stick a thermometer in them, of course.