I brewed a version of this yesterday. For some reason my efficiency was way off. I have a 15 gallon mash tun and I think I need a certain critical mass of grain in order to achieve my usual 90%+ efficiency (like 15 lbs+). For this I did a 7 gallon batch using about 10 lbs of grain and the output of the recirculation hose pushed a bunch of the grain aside leaving me to wonder if this worked like one big channel in the grain bed. Anyway, I ended up with 1.037 wort, and supplemented with wheat and barley LME to bring the OG up to 1.048.
I used the following water profile: Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=71, S04=69 (from Electric Brewery's weizen recipe)
I made some changes to the hop schedule:
Cascade 14g @ 15 min
Huell Melon 56g and 2 1/8 oz (by weight) orange zest whirlpool/stand at 180F for 30 min
I prepared the zest from about 8 navel oranges using a real zester to avoid going too deep.
The wort had nice orange citrusy taste with some bitter bite (maybe too much). I can't really tell if the bitterness is from the orange or hops. If I had it to do over I would skip the cascade entirely and just do the whirlpool. I wasn't sure if I could believe the IBU numbers Beersmith puts out for the whirlpool hop addition (16.4). With the Cascade, we're at 20.6 IBU. Maybe a little high, but hopefully the alcohol will smooth out the bite I tasted in the wort.
I had a jar of Conan (Yeastbay) left over from another brew a few weeks ago, so I made a 1/2 gallon starter from that, and pitched at 65F. The carboy had erupted by this morning. I'm running the fermentation at 64F to try to get some peach tones out of the yeast.