Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Summer Citrus Wheat

Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #121
SkippyWilliams
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyWilliams View Post
So I was out with the kids trick or treating and pulling the wagon and I had a few of my Summer Citrus Wheat left in the cooler. I thought it was a good time to share some of what summer brew I had left and I found it interesting that 2 different people at separate times said this beer tasted like a light 3Floyds Gumball Head. I had to have a Gumball Head last night to compare and I did notice the similarities in the 2.

Now the only things I did different in this batch were:
  1. No Orange Peels. I used the zest of 1 grapefruit instead
  2. For the yeast I used S-05

I made this beer 3 times this summer and tweaked it all 3 times. I love it.
wow. I can't beleive I forgot another change I made. I used Citra hops instead fo Cascade also.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #122
ims0ko0l
Recipes 

Just made this today myself and used citra and cascade instead. Hope it turns ok. Also used the sweet and bitter peel. Also used the white labs 4 wheat yeast

Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #123
captainkirk83
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewed this a month ago subbing some centennial for half of the cascade. I also used a prior slurry of 05 yeast from the Centennial blonde I had just brewed. I added one ounce of grapefruit zest at flameout. I lost my notes from brewday so don't remember details. Three week fermentation then bottled last Monday. Tasted surprisingly good after only 5 days in the bottle.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #124
sirmichael
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I brewed this recipe back in February and bottled it on St Patrick's Day. It is awesome!!! My efficiency was low as it was my first all grain but the taste is outstanding. The ABV came in around 4.5% so it's a perfect yard work session beer for spring and summer. This one is definite going into the brewing rotation.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #125
tinman717
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this last month and it's been in the bottle for a little over two weeks. Awesome awesome beer! I actually felt that this beer would be great to make a shandy with, so I poured a glass and mixed in some lemonade. DAMN! For me, I couldn't ask for a more perfect back-porch shandy. I used to be a big fan of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, but as I've grown I feel the sugar content in it is really high and it gives me gut-rot. In my opinion, this brew with a little lemonade mixed in is a Summer Shandy killer for sure. Will definitely be brewing this again!

Old 04-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #126
jjeddysea
Recipes 

I am going to try this one next. Thanks

Old 06-10-2015, 04:19 AM   #127
jjeddysea
Recipes 

FG came out to 1010 into the cooler for 5 days of conditioning.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #128
zamo27
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what other yeast strains can be used as i cant get wyeast 1010

Old 06-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #129
powermd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

I brewed a version of this yesterday. For some reason my efficiency was way off. I have a 15 gallon mash tun and I think I need a certain critical mass of grain in order to achieve my usual 90%+ efficiency (like 15 lbs+). For this I did a 7 gallon batch using about 10 lbs of grain and the output of the recirculation hose pushed a bunch of the grain aside leaving me to wonder if this worked like one big channel in the grain bed. Anyway, I ended up with 1.037 wort, and supplemented with wheat and barley LME to bring the OG up to 1.048.

I used the following water profile: Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=71, S04=69 (from Electric Brewery's weizen recipe)

I made some changes to the hop schedule:

Cascade 14g @ 15 min
Huell Melon 56g and 2 1/8 oz (by weight) orange zest whirlpool/stand at 180F for 30 min

I prepared the zest from about 8 navel oranges using a real zester to avoid going too deep.

The wort had nice orange citrusy taste with some bitter bite (maybe too much). I can't really tell if the bitterness is from the orange or hops. If I had it to do over I would skip the cascade entirely and just do the whirlpool. I wasn't sure if I could believe the IBU numbers Beersmith puts out for the whirlpool hop addition (16.4). With the Cascade, we're at 20.6 IBU. Maybe a little high, but hopefully the alcohol will smooth out the bite I tasted in the wort.

I had a jar of Conan (Yeastbay) left over from another brew a few weeks ago, so I made a 1/2 gallon starter from that, and pitched at 65F. The carboy had erupted by this morning. I'm running the fermentation at 64F to try to get some peach tones out of the yeast.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #130
powermd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Just an update. After 10 days in primary, the FG is 1.013. Second generation Yeast Bay Northeast Ale, FWIW. Has a subtle citrusy flavor from the orange zest, but I'm not getting any of the melon/strawberry people talk about. There is a little alcohol burn making me wonder if pitching onto the yeast cake from a previous batch may have been too much. Fermentation was solidly 64-66F.

I racked off the yeast cake to a fresh carboy and put 2 oz Huell Melon in for a 7 day dry hop today.