Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > One hop rhizome DOA

Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
JeffNYC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default One hop rhizome DOA

One of four of my hop rhizomes (planted in top quality planters mix in planters) has no signs of life after a month (Sterling). The other three are going OK. Is it typical for vendors to replace dead rhizomes? I've raised this by e-mail but no response.

This was looking weak at planting (the others had buds and wisps of roots). It might have been a twig for all I know.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I too have one rhizome that has done nothing. It was twig-sized as well. I had two shoots come out of the raised bed a week ago, only to have them leaf out in a strange way. Turns out is was a weed that initially looked very hop-like upon first breaking ground. I dug it up and the twig was slowly putting out roots and some VERY small shoots. We'll see.

Luckily this was the magnum, which I really didn't want anyway but bought because it was what I could get and I had an empty spot. If it grows, it grows. If not, I'll order the hallertau I wanted this year next year or trade rhizomes off of an established cascade I currently have.

Point being, you have three healthy plants, and (maybe) one dud. At this point I've written the magnum off, but continue to water it as I do the other and maybe two weeks from now we'll both be talking about the "miracle" plant that grew against all odds. Yah, the vendor shouldn't send out twigs, but the miniscule harvest off of one first year plant will pay for all of the others, let alone the second year.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Probably a little late for them to be replacing them anyway, even if they were willing. Considering the rumors that hop rhizome orders increased by like 1000% this year because of the hop shortage, they must have been ridiculously swamped, so I don't fault the hop farms for sending out a dud rhizome every so often. I ordered 6, and had one 'twig', which I don't think is too bad a success rate.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
CatchinZs

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm 5 for 6.

One of my nugget rhizomes didn't take off but I didn't really expect them all to make it.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Out of my Cascade, Golding, and Willamette, Sterling was the last to sprout, but then was brutally mauled by insects...I'm talking down to the rhizome mauled.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 06-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
JeffNYC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinDave07 View Post
Out of my Cascade, Golding, and Willamette, Sterling was the last to sprout, but then was brutally mauled by insects...I'm talking down to the rhizome mauled.
That's encouraging. My Cascade, Mt. Hood going strong, Willamette just starting. So I may be Ok. I'll wait. I really wanted Sterling...

Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm 1 for 3, but I'm not crying in my beer. For a first time hop farmer, I'm doing fine.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First timer here myself. I got 3 for 3 but thought one was dead until last night. It took 5 weeks to finally send a shoot up!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

so far i am 8 for 10
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
mynamestanner
Recipes 

I had a Centennial that i thought was DOA, but it just came up this morning. I plated exactly one month ago.

Freshops actually sent me 2 Mt Hood and 2 Willamette, i only ordered 1 of each, but they are both up and alive. Got 1 Cascade that is up too.

6/6, woohoo!

Planned: Conversion to all-grain beer, a quick blueberry cider