#1 cool job: brewmaster - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > #1 cool job: brewmaster

Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Spunkmeyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2008

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/workl...obs/index.html

1. Brewmaster
To put it mildly, a lot of people like to drink beer. It's associated with goods times, 21st birthdays and football games. (In fairness, it's also associated with hangovers the next day.) Who wouldn't want to be the creator of a tasty ale that will be imbibed by many the partygoer? Plus, you get to do taste-testing along the way, which is always fun.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Yea I saw that list. The lack of pr0n star auditioner makes me feel like the list is bunk.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

They have a really odd definition of "pays well." I mean, it's not all about the money, but $42k a year isn't really all that much to really live comfortably (especially with a family). I'm not how many people in the industry would really describe it as "lucrative."

(incidentally, I keep telling my wife... when I get frustrated that she's going to be only working half-time while getting her PhD, to remind me that once she's a tenured college prof I could theoretically quit my job and start brewing for a living. Not that I would do so, but just a dream to keep me going while I'm writing all the checks again!)

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Pittsburg, California
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
It's a damn shame that people who create some of the best beverages on this planet are only making $42k a year!
$42k? Hah! On the upper end they are making 42k. Average is probably closer to $32K, and some make as little as $10 per hour. Their figures might have been skewed by the fairly high paid folks in the BMC world.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

May 2008
Camp Hill, PA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not having a family may influence me saying this, but I could easily live on 32K a year, certainly if it was brewing beer. Getting paid to do something awesome...that's my definition of a perfect life.

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Pittsburg, California
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyShamrock View Post
Not having a family may influence me saying this, but I could easily live on 32K a year, certainly if it was brewing beer. Getting paid to do something awesome...that's my definition of a perfect life.
Amen to that. I am depending on my social worker girlfriend to be the bread winner in the family.....

Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
Desert Monkey
Recipes 

May 2008
Phoenix, Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
(incidentally, I keep telling my wife... when I get frustrated that she's going to be only working half-time while getting her PhD, to remind me that once she's a tenured college prof I could theoretically quit my job and start brewing for a living. Not that I would do so, but just a dream to keep me going while I'm writing all the checks again!)
Ah I remember that plan like it was yesterday...my wife just finished optometry school and off she went....to work on the Indian Reservation for 24k a year.

Ah, the dream - I think of it every day I sit in my office working for corporate America...

—General Jack D. Ripper

Old 06-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
rcb

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Hatboro, PA

Im still shooting for the dream. How is it that doll fashion designer makes more money than a brewmaster. That f*ed up?

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:50 AM   #10
beta pleated sheet

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Amherst, MA
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Man, I wish there was more of a market for beer sommeliers, that's my dream job.