Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I have a problem? - 24 hour foam only !!!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
blackdouglas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I have a problem? - 24 hour foam only !!!

OK, so unfortunately I am using a Mr. Beer to start my new obsession. However, I was happy to discover that my keg showed about an inch worth of thick foam within a short time. I was thinking that at this rate, the top would blow.

Stupid me unscrewed the lid slightly to let a lot of air out. I never took the top off to let anything get exposed though. The following morning, I had no foam! All I can see on the top now is floating fruit that went into the receipe. I used dry yeast with this receipe as well. The bottom line is that I saw a heavy foam for 24 hours and then my fermenting batch died out.

Is my beer going to be a flop because I let some air out, or was this just coincidental? Should I leave the beer in the keg or toss it????

Anyone with slight knowledge, please respond, because I do not know what I am doing. I do not have a meter to take a reading at the moment.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
Vatechtigger
Recipes 

dont sweat it. Exposing air to an active fermentation isnt going to harm the beer.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have done a heck of a lot worse and still had great beer. Let it go for a few more days to see if it becomes more active again.

Next up: Double IPA for friend, Kolsch, Graff, American Wheat, Dunkleweizen.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 AM   #4
blackdouglas
Recipes 

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the response guys. I have a lot of money tied up in this batch so far!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
MellowToad
Recipes 

As for your foam dying off in less than 24 hours, that seemed to happen to me a lot when I was using the basic Mr. Beer dry yeast. One minute it's there, the next it's not.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
Righlander
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lol, its fine

Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I just bottled my first batch from a Mr. Beer Kit. If it makes you feel any better I never did have very much foam... Just some small bubbles rising around the edges. I left it in two weeks + 1 day. I tasted a small sample b-4 bottling. It tasted pretty good and it definitely had alcohol in it... I can't wait til they're done.. I plan to open the first one in three weeks. Good luck with yours.