Someone Tell Me About Fat Tire Ale - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Someone Tell Me About Fat Tire Ale

Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Feb 2008
North Phoenix, AZ

I also thing 1554 is their best brew. I do like the seasonal 2 below also

Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #22
Schnitzengiggle

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Tucson, AZ
Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts

Fat tire is a great beer! It is pretty much my "BMC". I don't think you could ever go wrong with it. I think there are alot of other great brews out there some are even better than Fat Tire, but for an amber it is truly in a class of its own. I think NB's best beer is their Abbey Ale, and Mighty Arrow is quite the delicious spicy pale ale. To each their own though.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #23
zanemoseley
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Cookeville, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't brew the Midwest kit for Fat Tire. I brewed the extract with the BelAbby alternative liquid yeast and its not good at all. Its been in the bottle for 2 months now and its still not good. I can drink it but its really nothing I would want to make again. I do like Fat Tire and would like to make an AG clone at some point. I also like the Mothership Wit, Mighty Arrow pale ale and 1554 although the 1554 is a 1-2 beer max for me due to the robust flavors.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #24
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts

I hadn't had a Fat Tire in a while and thought that I didn't really like it anymore.

Well I decided to buy a 12 pack as it was on sale and proved myself wrong. It is a great beer and has got me thinking about a clone down the road.

I have brewing the mini-mash kit from NB before and turned out ok, but not as good as the original.

Also has anyone else noticed a very distinct taste difference sometimes. I swear I have gotten 2 tastes from Fat Tire both in the bottle let alone on draft is totally different too. Makes me wonder if it is bottle conditioned?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #25
blackwaterbrewer

Recipes 

Dec 2008
virginia beach
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

fat tire is a tough one to nail down. ive been trying it for years and haven' got it to where i want it. i just brewed one yesterday, actually. i use a belgian saison yeast to get that earthy-malt taste. we'll see.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #26
Schnitzengiggle

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Tucson, AZ
Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts

FYI Costco sells Fat Tire 18 bucks for a case here in AZ! Thats a GONGA. I wish they had a Variety Pack Case

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #27
BlackE1
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed Midwest clone kit and it taste nothing like fat tire. I thought it tasted horrible at first so i let it sit longer since i didn't like it. It now taste pretty good but nothing like fat tire. I have had people say they liked it and people say they didn't even want to finish it.

I would advise against Belgian yeast when trying to brew a fat tire clone.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 AM   #28
Duckfoot

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Dürty Soüth, GA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

From Fred's Beer Page:

"If you do not know who this brewery is, they make a beer called Fat Tire. Apparently Fat Tire can allow people to attain spiritual enlightenment, cure cancer, will balance the debt, and restore the ozone layer. Just kidding, but a lot of people really seem to desire this beer, so get ready, because the wait is about to be over."
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #29
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion

Recipes 

Jan 2006
The Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
From Fred's Beer Page:

"If you do not know who this brewery is, they make a beer called Fat Tire. Apparently Fat Tire can allow people to attain spiritual enlightenment, cure cancer, will balance the debt, and restore the ozone layer. Just kidding, but a lot of people really seem to desire this beer, so get ready, because the wait is about to be over."
Seriously. I remember when I first joined HBT. All I heard was how awesome Fat Tire was from a lot of people. We didn't have it in Ohio at the time so I never tried it until I came out to Chicago.

Its good. Not ridiculously awesome and perfect in every way, but its good. If Ambers are your thing.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #30
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3450 Times on 3275 Posts

If you've not decided yet, don't wanna read the whole thread as my laptop is going to die any second, Make Dude's Clone! I am drinking it right now. I just put it on gas a week and a half ago and it's friggin fantastic. My best homebrew yet!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.