Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Made some Feta

Old 06-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
tomhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Made some Feta

I made another batch of feta this weekend. It always turns out soooo good. But I think the next time I will put some extras in it. Maybe tomato-basil, cracked pepper-garlic, garlic-basil. I am also going to make some more gouda. This time I will smoke it. I smoked some farmhouse cheddar and it turned out well. Still a little leary on trying the "blue gouda" but it does sound interesting. I have two one-pound wheels of gouda and two one-pound wheels of farmhouse cheddar in my cave now. I need to get more in there because if I run out of room I will need a bigger and better cave.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
The Beer Baron
Recipes 

Hey Tomhog...I'm actually very interested in this, as I'm a huge fan of the feta...Do you have a recipe or step by step on the process?

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Prisonweizen
Planning: Edworts Haus Pale Ale / Edworts Aplewein
Building: Single Tier 10 gal system / Counter Flow Chiller

Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beer Baron View Post
Hey Tomhog...I'm actually very interested in this, as I'm a huge fan of the feta...Do you have a recipe or step by step on the process?

+1 would love to see a tutorial and recipe

Old 06-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
tomhog
Recipes 

Default Feta

I use the recipe from Fiaso Co Farm's website www.fiascofarm.com. They have a great cheese making section. It also has the tutorial you are looking for. I use store bought milk and add the calcium chloride. I use two gallons 2% and add 1 pint heavy cream. I don't brine mine. It lasts a long time if I keep it in a container vacuum sealed. Sometimes I just put it in a freezer bag and throw it in the freezer. My feta turns out great every time.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
tomhog
Recipes 

The Fias Co Farm site also has plans for a homemade cheese press the looks pretty easy.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
mohegan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Tutorial and recipe step by step please.. Share away Yamas!!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
podz
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 600 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhog View Post
I use the recipe from Fiaso Co Farm's website www.fiascofarm.com. They have a great cheese making section. It also has the tutorial you are looking for. I use store bought milk and add the calcium chloride. I use two gallons 2% and add 1 pint heavy cream. I don't brine mine. It lasts a long time if I keep it in a container vacuum sealed. Sometimes I just put it in a freezer bag and throw it in the freezer. My feta turns out great every time.
Have you compared it to real Greek feta?

In Finland, I am pretty much limited to buying packaged Greek feta and it's OK. Every time I visit Greece, I buy feta from the deli counter in supermarkets - they keep it in large barrels, in huge chunks, soaking in brine and just cut you off a big slab and wrap it in butcher's paper then throw a plastic bag around it. The taste of that stuff is amazing, amazing, amazing.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
chef273b
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts

Local creamery, one of my suppliers, uses a brine at 20% salinity with a pH of 4.5 to 4.8. Seems to last forever, getting tastier (to me) with age. Hope you find this helpful.