Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > reuse bottle caps??
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Fitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London,UK/
Posts: 67
Default reuse bottle caps??

just a quick question.. working on my first batch(in primary), got a few bottle caps that came with my kit but was wondering if you can reuse them? i know theyre not that expensive but i was just curious lol


Fitz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Brewmando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fort Madison, IA (SE)
Posts: 322
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

NO!! Once they are crimped tight on a bottle there is little chance of them working properly again after being pried off.


Brewmando is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,969
Liked 311 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Penny wise, pound foolish. Short cuts like this can ruin your beer and waste all your work, time, and money besides getting the reputation that you cannot brew.

New beer requires new caps on clean and sanitized bottles. Do it right the first time.
EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Finn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
just a quick question.. working on my first batch(in primary), got a few bottle caps that came with my kit but was wondering if you can reuse them? i know theyre not that expensive but i was just curious lol
They'll probably seal, but it's not worth it. I had to resort to used caps one time with a batch of hard cider on a Sunday afternoon ... I think I had about a 60-percent success rate with them. Definitely not how you want to save $1.75 a batch.

But ... used bottle caps are great for sealing your beer bottles after rising the yeast off the bottom! If you leave them open, you can have some trouble getting cooties out of them when you're ready to put beer in them. With used caps on them, you just pop the tops off, run 'em through the dishwasher (no soap, high heat) and put beer in 'em.

--Finn
__________________
Planning: Wilhoit Springs Bitter; apple-plum hard cider
Brewing: Nuttin'!
In glass:Wilhoit Springs IPA(dunkles); Grain alcohol & Rainwater beer; Obfuscatator Doppelbock; Jamil's Ordinary Bitter; Dun Ringill Scottish 80/-; Bohumbug Pilsner; several strong ciders
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water
Finn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
abracadabra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
abracadabra's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newnan, Georgia
Posts: 1,925
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I've got a buddy that reuses twist offs, by simply twisting them back on.
__________________
Do what you like!
Brew what you like!
abracadabra is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 27,357
Liked 3647 Times on 2480 Posts
Likes Given: 2444

Default

Depending on how you take them off you could do it easily and have 100% success, but I would never do it unless I had to. They are just too cheap. I keep a few sets extra so I dont' run out.

If I think I won't drink a whole bottle, I carefully pry a bit all around the cap until it is loose enough to remove. This prevents the cap from being creased across the top and gives a nice even bend around the edge. I can then put the cap back on with the wing capper I keep in the kitchen and put back in fridge. It doens' lose enough carbonation to affect the drinkability of the 1/2 bottle later.
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
FizzBizzle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
If I think I won't drink a whole bottle, I carefully pry a bit all around the cap until it is loose enough to remove. This prevents the cap from being creased across the top and gives a nice even bend around the edge. I can then put the cap back on with the wing capper I keep in the kitchen and put back in fridge. It doens' lose enough carbonation to affect the drinkability of the 1/2 bottle later.
Who drinks half a bottle? Even the double deucers are pretty easy to wipe out. Then again, maybe I'm just an alcholic.(...but it tastes so good.)
FizzBizzle is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,940
Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
I've got a buddy that reuses twist offs, by simply twisting them back on.
IMHO...Your buddy is a fool.
For less than $2.00 you get brand new caps that won't kill your beer.
There is no reason that you should chince here. It is not worth it. How long does it take you to make $2.00 at work....How long does it take you to brew another batch of beer, bottle and age it, then the embarrassment of handing a friend a nasty ass flat infected bottle of swill...No thanks?
__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.
BigKahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Choguy03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 446
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Depending on how you take them off you could do it easily and have 100% success, but I would never do it unless I had to. They are just too cheap. I keep a few sets extra so I dont' run out.

If I think I won't drink a whole bottle, I carefully pry a bit all around the cap until it is loose enough to remove. This prevents the cap from being creased across the top and gives a nice even bend around the edge. I can then put the cap back on with the wing capper I keep in the kitchen and put back in fridge. It doens' lose enough carbonation to affect the drinkability of the 1/2 bottle later.
There is nothing possibly more important that could happen that would require you to have to recap mid-beer. Even if I leave the room for a bit you just have to come back and drink a little warmer beer.


__________________
Mad Scientist Brewing Co.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)
Choguy03 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clear PETE bottle ok to reuse? triangulum33 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-26-2009 01:55 PM
can you reuse metal bottle caps if you don't crease/bend them? lovebeer Bottling/Kegging 15 04-01-2008 03:36 PM
About to Bottle, how do i reuse my yeast in my fermenter? ThaDutchMasta Recipes/Ingredients 6 02-08-2008 02:24 PM
Beer bottle collection to reuse as homebrew bottles? buraglio General Beer Discussion 4 12-31-2007 05:38 PM
Screw top bottle reuse? Irafly Equipment/Sanitation 3 07-17-2007 02:55 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS