What a night! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > What a night!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just got back from one of the most educating evenings I've ever attended!

So, I've gotten to know this guy on another forum (not beverage related) and after fluffing a while we discovered we -apart from hifi- both where pretty interested in beer and alcoholic beverages in general.

Thing is, I only knew him by his forum handle and he suggested I and some of the other guys on the forum also posting in the thread should come over to his place and try some different beers. Since he practically live next door I decided I should tag along. Good desition.

We had decided we should home in on the high end Belgian beers for the evening and that I should bring a keg of homebrew and some hops and malt (to show the less knowledgable and explain the process of making beer).

Now, I knew I had heard his name somewhere before but I couldn't really place it. It turns out that the guy behind the handle was actually one of the most reputable spirit and wine experts in europe.. He has done TV shows, written several books on wine and vodka.

He started out by giving us a crash course explaining how he looks at aroma and taste, how you should do to pick out the different details in the aroma etc. Very, very interesting stuff, especially since this guy has pioneered new ways of looking at and describing aroma.

The winner this evening was karamelit triple...

What he thought about my homebrew? He actually said he was surprised how good it was and actually sponaneously went for a refill .

I then asked him to really pick it apart into all aromas and tastes and got some really good feedback on what could be improved...

Next time we'll try vodka -his speciality. That will be pretty cool because this guy is one of few (the only one?) that has systematically tried hundreds of different vodkas in a number of different drinks to figure out which vodka is most suitable for one particular drink! Now, that's obsessive!

H

H

Old 06-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 146 Times on 57 Posts

Neat-O!!! Free knowledgeable feedback!!!!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
VatorMan
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
I just got back from one of the most educating evenings I've ever attended!

So, I've gotten to know this guy on another forum (not beverage related) and after fluffing a while we discovered we -
H

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluffer

Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
surfbrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2007
SLO County, CA

VatorMan-

That's rad!...I was thinking the same thing. The whole "fluffing" thing kind of threw me for a loop:0

Anyway, that sounds like a cool evening. It's always great to meet some cool new people espepcially when they are so knowledgable about things such as beer and spirits.

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 06-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
I think i ment to write "fluff talking", but looking that up on ye ol' internet seemed mostly to referene seduction techniques... But you know what I mean.

H

Old 06-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Us Amurricans call that 'small talk' instead of 'fluffing'. But seriously, that's awesome! What are the odds, eh? And that's great that he liked your karamelit triple and gave you great feedback on it.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Racine WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Neat-O!!! Free knowledgeable feedback!!!!
Yeah, Bernie and I tried that with sause and all we ever get is: here try this really sour beer.

Magic Bus Brewery

Old 06-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Us Amurricans call that 'small talk' instead of 'fluffing'. But seriously, that's awesome! What are the odds, eh? And that's great that he liked your karamelit triple and gave you great feedback on it.
Hehe, there are lots of words that have different meanings between Swedish and English... For example, the swedish word for "dot" is "prick" and that can lead to pretty interesting mixups.

About the "Tripel Karmeliet" it wasn't my homebrew, its brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels in Belgium. Still, it was awsome -and scary- to have my homebrew (an American IPA, somewhat resembling Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale) picked apart by a pro.

H