Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is more than a week too long????

Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
MON3YMiK3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is more than a week too long????

I have a Hef in my primary its been in there since saturday 17th. It has very little foam on top.And i messed btw and did not take O.G either. Well my main question is should I bottle asap or wait till all the foam on top settles???

Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
The Mad Hatter
Recipes 

From what I have learned so far is, that with a Hef 10 days in the primary is the "Target". I would grab a hydro sample and take a SG reading and see what it is today, and the next few days. Here is a post on my upcoming Hef brew This is only my third batch so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I bet that its not ready yet.

What style did you do? German, American? I would like to see you recipe.

What did you ferment in, a bucket or a carboy with a blow off tube? I will be doing mine in an ale pale with an airlock.

My slow single tier build

Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Never ever bottle less than a week after fermentation starts! Ever!!@ You will get bottle grenades from incomplete fermentation. Wait until the krausen settles, then do the hydrometer readings several days apart like the mad hatter suggested.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like to wait def. after krausen settles and about 3 days after that so the yeast can clean up after themselves. Be patient.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Give it 2 full weeks before you start worrying about it. Then take your reading and then another 2 days later. If it is stable and in the neighborhood of your target FG go ahead and bottle.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 05-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
MON3YMiK3
Recipes 

THANKS GUYS...That was quick!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

I don't know if it is different for Hef's but with my ales I've been leaving them up to a month in primary, then bottling, and my beers have stepped up a notch in terms of clarity and crispness in flavors. The yeasties do a great job of cleaning up after themselves.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
MON3YMiK3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
From what I have learned so far is, that with a Hef 10 days in the primary is the "Target". I would grab a hydro sample and take a SG reading and see what it is today, and the next few days. Here is a post on my upcoming Hef brew This is only my third batch so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I bet that its not ready yet.

What style did you do? German, American? I would like to see you recipe.

What did you ferment in, a bucket or a carboy with a blow off tube? I will be doing mine in an ale pale with an airlock.
Its a american Hef. Im using a glass carboy I didn't need blow off. and the recipe is this:

6 lbs Malt Wheat Extract.
1oz #1Mt.Hood (4.6%) 60min
Yeast: Whitelabs WLP320 American Hefeweizen
65-75 Fermenting Degrees F.

I didn't take one but I should have
S.G 1.044

Old 05-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I let my hefe sit in primary for three weeks before bottling, partly due to laziness. I popped open my one week tester and it was very tasty. Leaving it alone can only help.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
bayoubabsy
Recipes 

Since it is a wheat, no need to go to secondary. I'll echo what others say- Let it sit in there at least two weeks before bottling. Your beer will taste and look better sooner after bottling.