Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider too bitter

Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
btencate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider too bitter

My cider has turned out a little too bitter. I added some regurlar table sugar to a glass of it and that seemed to help. My question is how much sugar is needed for 5 gallons? Is table sugar the way to go or does something else work better? It was fermented with brown sugar.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Any fermentable sugar you add is going to ferment out unless you kill the yeast. If you do that, you can't carbonate. If you want both, you'll have to use something like Lactose or Splenda. A cup of splenda in 5 gallons is about the most I can stand.

July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Did you chemically kill off the yeast?

If you didn't, then you can't add sugar to the batch. The yeast will merely eat them up, raising the abv and adding co2 to the bottles (if you are bottling) creating bottle bombs.
To sweeten a brew that wasn't chemically stopped, you need to use unfermentable sugars. Such as splenda or lactose.

Now to figure out how much you need, take a measured sample of your cider. Add to that a measured amount of splenda or lactose. Keep increasing the amts of sugar until you reach just enough sweetness. Then do the math! If it takes 2 grams of splenda to sweeten 8 oz of cider. Just multiply it up to 128 oz per gallon. (5 gallons would be 640oz)

Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How old is your cider? Brown sugar tends to make a very dry cider, however, the longer cider ages the more it mellows and sweetens.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
GrantLee63
Recipes 

Most ciders are drank waaaaaaaay too early. Let this one bulk-age for at least one year before deciding to either bottle or keg. Trust me.

- GL63

Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
btencate
Recipes 

So if I did add another fermentable sugar would that make the Alcohol content rise? Or does this only take place in the first fermentation?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

It'll ferment out until the alcohol tolerance of the yeast is reached. It will also thin out the body some, too.

For example, if you used champagne yeast, you could probably get 18% ABV before the yeast pooped out and reached their limit. So, you'd have rocket fuel for sure!

If you want to sweeten as is, you have a couple of options. One is to stabilize the cider by adding campden and sorbate and then sweeten to taste. You will not be able to bottle carbonate that way. If you want to still carbonate this batch (and don't keg), you can add lactose, splenda, equal, etc to taste.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans