Any Officers in the Military here? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Any Officers in the Military here?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Addison,TX
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I know we have a a lot of Military members in here, I had some questions for those that where officers or hell anyone really if they might know.

What path did you take getting into it?
Did you get any say it what area you went into?
If you could do it all over again would you?
Does your degree play into what you will go into, or is it just the fact that you have a degree?

And just any other thoughts you have on doing something like this.

I have been contemplating doing this for a few years, and now that graduation is getting close and im almost down to the Weight standards for the Military I have been thinking about doing this again.

Thanks for any comments and or advice.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI
Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts

I'm a communications officer in the USAF. I got a ROTC scholarship out of high school. I attended SMU and did ROTC cross-town at UNT, all while living in The Colony. Whew - I couldn't afford to do all that driving today with our fuel prices!

My BS was in Comp Sci. I would say that it did play a part in the career field I chose, although our career field and many others don't necessarily have specific degree requirements. Some do (medical, engineering, law, etc.)

I never planned on staying in past my 4 year commitment. Now I've been in over 10 years, Uncle Sam is paying for degree #3 (PhD at Tx A&M), and I don't have a single regret.

My suggestion is to talk to an OTS recruiter for the branch(es) you're considering. Let them know what you're interested in, and find out what your chances are for getting into the career field you want. Some are easy, others are extremely competitive.

Glad to answer any other Q's. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Navy 1974-1979

What path did you take getting into it? ROTC scholarship

Did you get any say it what area you went into? No

If you could do it all over again would you? Probably, but I would have fought like H3ll to not go Nuc.

Does your degree play into what you will go into, or is it just the fact that you have a degree? Because I had an engineering degree & wasn't qualified to fly, I was basically forced into the Nuclear Submarine program.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Addison,TX
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info. The main branches I have been considering are USMC, USAF, and Navy. Pretty much in that order. I need to get into a recruiter and talk, just always here horror stories about them, so figured I would get some info from people that have gone through it. I also will have to find out if my past condition of Asthma will be a problem. Last time I was treated for it was when I was 12, and now im 23 and have done a few tri's, a half marathon and tons of 100K bike rides with no problems, so im hoping that will not be an issue.

oh and 3 degree's that is awesome, I never knew they would pay for that many degrees.

Thanks again.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI

I don't know if just any recruiter can help you. You need to talk with one that can help you get an OTS/OCS slot. Each service probably even handles it differently. I'm sure the ROTC det at UTA could point you in the right direction, too. They're versed in officer commissioning programs.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Liked 847 Times on 612 Posts

Speaking for my son:

What path did you take getting into it?
Naval Academy

Did you get any say it what area you went into?
Yes

If you could do it all over again would you?
Can't answer that.

Does your degree play into what you will go into, or is it just the fact that you have a degree?
He will use his ME degree and may stay in the Nuc field.

Hey david 42
What do you find so bad about the Navy Submarine Program. My son actually volunteered for it and doesn't seem unhappy. (Although the huge bonus he got may have helped.) Are you still active duty?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
Donasay
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Boston
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801 View Post
Thanks for the info. The main branches I have been considering are USMC, USAF, and Navy. Pretty much in that order. I need to get into a recruiter and talk, just always here horror stories about them, so figured I would get some info from people that have gone through it. I also will have to find out if my past condition of Asthma will be a problem. Last time I was treated for it was when I was 12, and now im 23 and have done a few tri's, a half marathon and tons of 100K bike rides with no problems, so im hoping that will not be an issue.

oh and 3 degree's that is awesome, I never knew they would pay for that many degrees.

Thanks again.
The armed forces have some excelent tuition reimbursement policies and some great plans set up to help you save for advanced degrees. There are even benefits once you get out of the military, and some schools offer military discounts so that students don't have to pay any tuition out of pocket.

There are several plans some federal, some differ by branch of military, so if you are using the military to get an advanced degree make sure you do your planning and understand the benefits of each thing you plan on taking advantage of. Some require you set aside some money from your paycheck, others are completely free, others require that you take specific types of courses. This is important info to know so you don't get screwed, as there is no such thing as a special case within a huge bureaucracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 05-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
benko

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Wilmington, NC
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Active duty Marine Corps officer/aviator. Spent some time in the infantry as an enlisted Marine, and then was selected for a commissioning program during which I went through Navy ROTC while remaining on active duty.

Sticking to what I know (USMC), you would want to go see an OSO (Officer Selection Officer). If you go to officer.marines.com, you should be able to get in touch with your local OSO. Unless you plan on going into the legal program (JAG officer), your degree makes absolutely no difference. I have a sociology degree as a pilot, and there are aerospace engineers who are grunts (not too many though).

Don't know about the asthma. The OSO will definately be able to help you with that. You mentioned making weight. Definately keep going with that. If you are looking to go the Marine route, work the pullups and endurance. They expect you to show up to OCS ready to go, not to get you in shape.

Oh, and one other thing. I made sure to put Marine officer before aviator. That's definately a mindset that's important to us. First and foremost, you're a Marine always, and then whatever your job happens to be. Some people consider it semantics, but I just wanted to illustrate the culture you'd be getting yourself into if you decided to go this route.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
The armed forces have some excelent tuition reimbursement policies and some great plans set up to help you save for advanced degrees. There are even benefits once you get out of the military, and some schools offer military discounts so that students don't have to pay any tuition out of pocket.

There are several plans some federal, some differ by branch of military, so if you are using the military to get an advanced degree make sure you do your planning and understand the benefits of each thing you plan on taking advantage of. Some require you set aside some money from your paycheck, others are completely free, others require that you take specific types of courses. This is important info to know so you don't get screwed, as there is no such thing as a special case within a huge bureaucracy.
All very true.

My gigs have been even better. Right now, my active duty assignment is to go to school (3 yr graduate degree). So not only do they pay for tuition, fees, etc., but I get my full pay while doing so. Same thing when I got my master's degree. There's no way I would've done this otherwise. It's really incredible.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 AM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Bern, NC
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Active Duty Marine Officer/student aviator

I got a BS in mech engineering and worked professionally as a design engineer for a year before going to OCS summer 2007. If I had decided on this path early enough I would have looked into ROTC but I'm not sure if I would have done it. I had a good time being on my own in college and enjoying myself. I've been constantly challenged and I look forward to every day. Not that many people say that about their life these days.

As far as choosing what you do in the Marine Corps, pilots, NFO's, and lawyers are contracted before OCS. In other words, once you commission and complete some basic infantry platoon commander training, you're going to be a pilot/NFO/lawyer unless you screw it up or are medically disqualified. For other MOS's, you earn a gpa during above mentioned infantry platoon commander training. You submit your list of preferences, and your gpa along with the needs of the Corps decides your MOS.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]