Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > How many bines are okay? What critters are these?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default How many bines are okay? What critters are these?

Hello,
Two questions:
1.) I've planted two Centennial rhizomes this year. One of them has one very long bine and two that are less than 2" tall, while the other has 3 bines, one a little longer, but all are long enough to reach my pole (they're climbing bamboo). All three of these are shorter than the bine from the first rhizome. Which is the more ideal situation, the one big bine or the three shorter ones? Will I get more flowers on the three?

2.) My hops have little, bright red bugs on them. Tiny, about the size of a pinhead. Trying to do some research it looks like they could be red velvet mites. These bugs are very common in West Virginia, and I remember them being just about everywhere growing up, but I'm still not sure what they are. I'd have a picture but I don't really know how to upload to the site. Does anyone in the region have similar pests, do you know what they are, and can they hurt my hops?

Thanks

Primary: Smoked Wit

Kegged: Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Reason: Poor grammar

Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Can't comment on the mites, but the answer to question one is to let them all grow. The greenage will fuel the growth underground. Train what you can, and let the rest stand tall. If you get a harvest this year, good on ya', but letting them go this year should yield a decent one next year.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Three is a good number. The small ones will catch up eventually. One is risky, four is too many for the first year's root system. Don't expect many cones, regardless. The first year is for root building.

Mites of any kind are a problem. Most of them live by sucking juices from the leaves. The Twospotted Spider Mite (Tetranychus urticae) is a common problem in the mid-West. A dusting with sulfur will stop many of them, unless there is a lot of webbing.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
CEMaine
Recipes 

Default A little looking online

seems to say they are totally harmless to plants. They are parasitic and live off other, more nasty, bugs in the soil. They come out after rains. Unless you see them damaging your plants, leave them be. Bugs can be our friends in the garden.

No matter how much I miss my target, I still make beer.
DBM

Primary 1 - Nada
Primary 2 - Zip
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - Ocean House Coffee Porter
Kegged - Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011
Bottled -
Drinking - Oak Pond Somerset Lager, October Fest & Nut Brown. Ocean House Coffee Porter. Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
Smogre

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tiny and red? Those are mites and aren't good for your plants.
Pick up a bag of Lady Bugs at your local plant supply shop and put them to work. It can be fun to watch.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 AM   #6
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I thought about lady bugs. Just need to see if any of my local greenhouses sell them. Or I can make a day of bug collecting!

Primary: Smoked Wit

Kegged: Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 05-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
CEMaine
Recipes 

Default How do you know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smogre View Post
Tiny and red? Those are mites and aren't good for your plants.
How do you know they are mites? From the data provided by the poster and some online research, they do not appear to be spider mites.

Most bugs are NOT BAD. They are part of the eco-system. We need all the parts for the system to work right. To simply run out and find something to kill a bug before you know what it is and if it is bad is not good practice.

Kind of like invading a country because they MIGHT have WMD.

No matter how much I miss my target, I still make beer.
DBM

Primary 1 - Nada
Primary 2 - Zip
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - Ocean House Coffee Porter
Kegged - Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011
Bottled -
Drinking - Oak Pond Somerset Lager, October Fest & Nut Brown. Ocean House Coffee Porter. Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Hammer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEMaine View Post
Kind of like invading a country because they MIGHT have WMD.
Sounds like a helluva good idea to me, especially if the leader is a known mass murderer.
Same thing with the mites.Shut 'em down, let the al-mite-ey sort 'em out

Old 06-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Okiebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in Iraq now, and even though it sucks here. Trust me we're doing good for these people and seeing the people here thank me and salute me (they don't know any better) makes me feel like at least we're doing something right.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Okiebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so yeah I say get the ladybugs and some popcorn and have some fun. My mom has been complaining about the tomato plants on her side of the garden getting eaten up. I told her when I get back I'd get some bugs to take care of it.