Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any other hookah-heads?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
beta pleated sheet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Any other hookah-heads?

Well, after spending the weekend out in the country and thinking about how awesome it would have been to have a hookah up there, I've decided that once I get some more money I'm going to buy my first hookah. I'm probably going to go for a small one, since it will be moved around a lot.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mmm Hookah What a smooth tasty smoke. Makes me wish my friend hadn't given hers to her friend because she thought she was addicted.....

You can pick up pretty decent one for about $100.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
beta pleated sheet

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm hoping the time and money will deter me from getting too hooked. That, and I think I'd need to only use it with a group because I can't smoke that much in one sitting.

I think it was my first hookah experiences when my friend and his buddy somehow did this crazy layered thing. It started off with a few different herbal things, then tobacco, then some really good weed. It was nifty.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got one although it is in storage right now. Can't wait to see it again! Soon I'll be in a panhandle apartment with a beach view from the patio. I stick to the legal stuff, but to each his own.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Hookahs are cool, but I'll just stick with my briar and cob pipes.... They're less trendy, and cheap to smoke. I smoke about 4 times a day and my habit runs me about $10 a month.

Briar pipes can get expensive (waayyyy over $100 each), but just if you just want good smoking ones, they're around $30-50. Mostly I smoke out of cobs though. At $5 or less a piece, you really can't go wrong...

Old 05-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #6
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been wanting to get a pipe. I might invest in me a cheap cob pipe this week. A question though sir hump. My friend use to have one and when we would try to smoke it, it wouldn't stay lit for crap. Every puff we had to relight it. I think we were using some Walgreen's blend. Any idea what the problem was?? I even tried drying it in the oven for about an hour, but that didn't help either.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodfatherX View Post
I've been wanting to get a pipe. I might invest in me a cheap cob pipe this week. A question though sir hump. My friend use to have one and when we would try to smoke it, it wouldn't stay lit for crap. Every puff we had to relight it. I think we were using some Walgreen's blend. Any idea what the problem was?? I even tried drying it in the oven for about an hour, but that didn't help either.
Get yourself a tamper.

Loosely drop the tobac into the bowl until it's full, then use the tamper to get it down to about half-full. Refill loosely, tamp again. Top it off, and tamp again.

Then light it and it will kind of swell up from the heat and go out pretty quickly. Tamp again.

Then light and puff away...

Or, do what I do... pack up the bowl, tamp it down, light, let it die out, light again and just smoke half a bowl.

The tamping is definitely a bit of an art and takes a little practice to get right. And the type of tobacco also makes a difference, as does the moisture content. Generally you want the tobac to brake apart when you drop it on a sheet of paper, or else it's too moist, though I've gotten accustomed to smoking moister toboc which seems to burn cooler and be a bit more flavorful.

Check out frenchyspipes.com. They have a good selection of cobs and he's running a sale right now, although saving 10% on a five dollar cob isn't going to save you much...

Old 05-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #8
beta pleated sheet

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've never tried pipes, but I think I might like to. How are they on harshness? I've got wimpy lungs that don't do so great with too much of the hot dryness...another reason why I like hookah.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta pleated sheet View Post
I've never tried pipes, but I think I might like to. How are they on harshness? I've got wimpy lungs that don't do so great with too much of the hot dryness...another reason why I like hookah.
You don't inhale, so they aren't bad on the lungs at all... it's more like a cigar in that you get the nicotine through the mouth.

It's definitely a very mellow kind of a sensation. Very nice.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #10
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A friend of mine has a hookah but he doesn't use it much because of his wife, so he leaves it at my house and every time he stops by my house for a brew, we'll smoke the hookah.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.