Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Recirculating mash? how to do it?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
aekdbbop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Recirculating mash? how to do it?

Can anyone give me some info on how to recirculate your mash to even out the temps? I have a march pump and a bazooka tube.. i'm sure the equipment doesnt matter much..

Do you just drain and pump it back in? should it be spread out on the grain bed when it comes back? Any info would help.. thanks!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So your mash tun is directly heated? You are just wanting to reciculate from the bottom the top? not a RIMS or HERMS setup?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

yep.. its direct fire.. simple system.. no herms or rims or anything..

Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you haven't noticed, I don't give that much advice on here as there are so many ways to do the same task... but, I'm guessing you have a false bottom? If so, the grain bed itself will act as a filter and clear the wort. Fashion some sort of sparge arm to distribute the wort evenly over the grain bed and you should be good to go.

In case you haven't seen it, here is my HERMS setup for a few ideas: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39422

Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1343 Times on 879 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm working out this very detail myself. I orginally fashioned a stainless braid in mine as the separation medium because hey, I'm batch sparging and it's always worked fine in the cooler. The problem I'm figuring though is that the grainbed is now sitting directly on the bottom of the keg and the direct heat MIGHT scorch the stuff. I'm putting a false bottom in for this reason. Now you'll have wort being heated and immediately drained out.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

so would i just run it out and run it back in? spread it out somehow? confused...

Old 05-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1343 Times on 879 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah, the idea is to take the mash liquid out from the bottom and put it back on top. Think of it as an extended vorlauf. I only plan on running the pump while I'm heating though. It seems like a waste of energy to circulate for 60 minutes. The wort was running incredibly clear after only running the pump for 5 minutes.

I'm going to deliver the wort back on top by dropping a 12" diameter circle of 3/8" copper on top of the mash that has a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom and sides. It's about the same as if you were trying to fly sparge.

Incidentally, I was running the sparge water into the MLT via the drain which seemed to work well because it help decompact the grainbed for easy stirring (batch sparging).

Old 05-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
jdoiv

Recipes 

Yeah, the best way is to have a false bottom to prevent scorching and some sort of sparge ring/arm to disperse the hot wort evenly back into the mash. Ideally you want this to happen just under the surface of the mash. That will prevent any chance of HSA and allow for more even heating of the grain bed. Or you could just return it by a hose and stand and stir the mash as it happens. You probably won't notice the HSA anyway if it does happen.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 05-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

if i had a sparge arm.. could you just run the mash through that? edit-thanks john.. that makes sense

Old 05-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Incidentally, I was running the sparge water into the MLT via the drain which seemed to work well because it help decompact the grainbed for easy stirring (batch sparging).
Oooo, I hadn't thought of doing that. That sounds like a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekdbbop
if i had a sparge arm.. could you just run the mash through that?
Sure. That would be perfect. I've just got a little return line in the top that I hook the pump outlet to. It's not quite as gentle as a sparge arm/ring, but it seems to work just fine. Honestly, I don't know that it really makes that much difference, as long as you're not disturbing the grain bed below a few inches. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.