Aborted brew - post mortem
I had a plan ....
My plan was to bottle my batch of stout, then start a batch of Hefewiezen (Austin Homebrew kit) in the soon to be vacated fermenter. I got the White labs pitchable tube out of the fridge this morning, so I would be ready to go this evening. However, towards the end of bottling, the thunderstorms really picked up steam and water started seeping into my basement, so I had to take a 1/2 hour and get the water away from the basement windows and redirected elsewhere. After dealing with the water, I was exhausted, so I finished up the bottling from where I had left it, and figured I would just make a starter.
However, I could not find my starter instructions, so I decided to try it from memory. I boiled 500 ML of water, and mixed in 3/4 cup DME. The starter boiled over, so I added some more water, and attempted to add more DME ... but it clumped and wouldn't go through the funnel. I poked it through, and it stuck on the edge of the flask. So I poured a little water to wash it down into the flask. ... ... I waited for it to start to boil again, then reduced the heat and waited... after boiling for 10 minutes, I put the flask in the sink to cool and checked the internet for better starter instructions --- It looked like i was only supposed to use 1/2 cup DME, not 3/4 ... not to mention the tweaking I had done ... - and since it was a Hefe, I should have used wheat?? I decided that if the O.G. of the starter solution was close to the O.G. of the HEFE I was planning I would go ahead and make the starter. However, the O.G. was 1.68, while the Hefe O.G. is in the mid 1.5Xs.
At this point I am tired and grumpy. Rather that risk my vial of yeast on haste, I decided to bag the starter idea and just leave the tube of yeast out to be ready for tomorrow.
My question to the experts are ... what should I have done? What should I do next?
Primary - Prehopped Export Stout Kit
Primary - Ed's Apfelwein
Bottled - Amarillo Pale Ale kit from Midwest