Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Joining the dark side... made a MLT and going all grain
Old 05-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I think a bigger brew pot is the key here. Right now I'm limiting my sparge volume because I have a small pot. If I get a larger pot and do full boils i'll be able to increase efficiency and lower my grain bill (and hop usage). I can use my existing 20qt stock pot to heat up sparge during mashing. So right now I need 10 pounds to do this recipe, where as I may have been able to do it with 7 pounds with more sparge water. That'll free up some space in the cooler for higher gravity beers. I think that using a cooler just as big as you need is a good thing though. If you have a monster sized cooler you're gonna end up with a shallow grain bed. Tall and skinny is the hot setup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~___//_ ____________________________~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~_/ [][]| | /```\/```\/```\/```\/```\ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~