Winter Carbonation - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Winter Carbonation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
JNJC
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Posts: 33


Hi Folks,


Last night I opened a beer that I bottled about three weeks ago. It was as flat as a lizard drinking (and very sweet)... I reckon what has happen is that it's getting cold this side of the planet, I have an immersion heater in my fermenter but there is no heater in the shed. So I a guessing it was too cold for the yeast to do it's thing and carbonate the beer.

Am I correct in thinking that it will carbonate if I move it to somewhere warm ?

I don't really have anywhere in the house to store the beer on a regular basis, so I am trying to figure out a way of keeping it warm in the shed. What do you guys do in this situation ?

I was thinking I could pick up a cheap electric blanket and hang it on the inside of an old wardrobe and store the beer in there for a couple of weeks to carbonate, but that's about as much inspiration as I could come up with...

TIA,
JC


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Spunkmeyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 143


You want to get the beer up to 22C (70F) or so for bottle conditioning. That seems to be the general consensus here, so far as I can tell.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Got Trub?
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Washington State
Posts: 1,538
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJC View Post
Hi Folks,


Last night I opened a beer that I bottled about three weeks ago. It was as flat as a lizard drinking (and very sweet)... I reckon what has happen is that it's getting cold this side of the planet, I have an immersion heater in my fermenter but there is no heater in the shed. So I a guessing it was too cold for the yeast to do it's thing and carbonate the beer.

Am I correct in thinking that it will carbonate if I move it to somewhere warm ?

I don't really have anywhere in the house to store the beer on a regular basis, so I am trying to figure out a way of keeping it warm in the shed. What do you guys do in this situation ?

I was thinking I could pick up a cheap electric blanket and hang it on the inside of an old wardrobe and store the beer in there for a couple of weeks to carbonate, but that's about as much inspiration as I could come up with...

TIA,
JC
That should work. I don't know how energy efficient it would be without some insulation. You only need to be in the low 60's, although warmer will work faster.

GT

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
WBC
 
WBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
La Puente, CA, California
Posts: 2,164
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Carbonation in bottles requires a place that has enough room to store the beer that is constantly between 65F to 72F. You need 2 weeks at 70F to carbonate. This is why a lot of us make insulated fermentation chambers with a digital controller. It's not that hard to construct one from sheets of foam available from Home Depot. The insulation really helps to contain any heat generated by fermentation and so cooling is all that is needed which can be ice or better yet a temperature controlled refrigerator works well too. If you really want control over temperature then this really has to be done.
__________________
Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor


“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
JNJC
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Posts: 33

Quote:
. The insulation really helps to contain any heat generated by fermentation and so cooling is all that is needed
Are you saying here that if I have an insulated chamber that I won't need to supply an external heat source, the fermentation process will generate enough heat to keep things at the right temperature ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
WBC
 
WBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
La Puente, CA, California
Posts: 2,164
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJC View Post
Are you saying here that if I have an insulated chamber that I won't need to supply an external heat source, the fermentation process will generate enough heat to keep things at the right temperature ?
When primary fermentation is going on it makes heat (exothermic). This subsides after 3 days. I am sure there is some from the bottles too although it is a lot smaller energy release. Unless your refrigerator is out in the wind on the back porch and its 40 outside it should help keep the bottles at a reasonable temperature. If not you could use any kind of heat source as long as you can control it thermostaticaly. You can also put bottles in a cooler chest in a bath of 70F water and add heated water or ice as necessary to maintain 70F if you have nowhere else suitable to put them.
Just check it every so often and it is easy.
__________________
Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor


“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 AM   #7
JNJC
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Unless your refrigerator is out in the wind on the back porch and its 40 outside it should help keep the bottles at a reasonable temperature. .
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you suggesting I use the refrigerator as a heat source ? Should I stack them behind it or something like that ?


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
WBC
 
WBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
La Puente, CA, California
Posts: 2,164
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJC View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you suggesting I use the refrigerator as a heat source ? Should I stack them behind it or something like that ?
What Im trying to say is control the temperature and giving you ideas on how you might do it. Be inventive.
__________________
Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor


“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
kenche
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 307
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Depending on how cold it really gets, it should be pretty easy to heat up an insulated chamber. A lightbulb or two can add a significant amount of heat.

If you want to precisely control the temperature, then you will need some kind of controller which can cycle on and off based on the temperature.

For example, inside of an insulated chamber you could have a light bulb which is plugged into you temperature controller. The controller is set to cycle on when the temperature hits 65, and it is set to turn off when it hits 72.

You just have to be sure that you heat source can generate enough heat to raise the ambient temperature of the chamber to the degree required.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered a carbonation stone. Carbonation in 20 minutes??? Any good? Mike-H General Techniques 31 08-14-2016 06:39 PM
Wow... what a winter mrfocus Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 10 03-05-2008 04:32 PM
Winter Ale #2 HarvardSquareHomey Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 02-07-2008 12:04 PM
Winter Ale ctkevin Recipes/Ingredients 5 09-25-2007 09:23 PM
So when do we get Winter??? Hopfan General Chit Chat 17 01-08-2007 01:30 AM


Forum Jump