Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Floaters...??
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Jester
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jester's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 617
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Secondary Floaters...??

My brew has been in the secondary for close to a week after spending a week in the primary... but there still is stuff floating all around in there... there is definitely some stuff settling out on the bottom.... The longer I let it sit, the clearer it will get..?? If it keeps settling out at this rate, it will have to be in there for a lot longer than two weeks...!!!! Is this normal..??!?! Thanks in advance....

Jester


Jester is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
loopmd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
loopmd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 665
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

What kind of beer is it?

I had a high gravity beer that took 3 (maybe 4?) weeks in the secondary. It even had what I would call "tofu like" floaties. It turned out great.

loop


loopmd is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
dave-m
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: west haven,utah
Posts: 43
Default

I just bottled an amber ale last night that had a bunch of these "floaters" you describe. They wouldn't hurt you if you drank them but they are certainly a distractor from the beer. Kinda like finding a bandaid in your cambells chicken noodle.

My solution was simple enough...I boiled a super fine mesh strainer bag and racked the beer into the bottling bucket through it. When I lifted it out, all of the little globs and floaters were trapped inside.

Only thing to be sure of is to check the gravity of your beer to make sure it's ready for bottling. Mine was down to 1.013 and had been the same for 4 days.
__________________
Primary #1---Cream Stout
Primary #2---nada
Secondary---nada
Bottled:Better bitter brew

Amber Ale
Yeasty beast Heffeweizen

Kegging system is on the way!!
dave-m is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,019
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-m
My solution was simple enough...I boiled a super fine mesh strainer bag and racked the beer into the bottling bucket through it. When I lifted it out, all of the little globs and floaters were trapped inside.
I've thought about this: with a little engineering creativity, one should be able to rig up a strainer "ball" of some sort that fits on the end of a siphon hose. That way, you could siphon more quietly into the bottling bucket, with no aeration, which would be my concern with splashing it through a strainer above the liquid level in the bottling bucket.

Anyone experimented with someting like this? You could maybe even fashion it from a small nylon bag and a hose clamp. Dunno--maybe that would be too fine and would pull the yeast out of suspension, too?
cweston is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,244
Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

FYI: I just saw these the other day when I was at the LHBS, but they sell little rubber caps that fit snugly over the INSIDE of the bottling bucket's spigot. The end of it has a fine-mesh screen on it.

Seems like a good idea to me. Just slip it over the inside of the spigot and any chunks or other debris that made it into the bottling bucket would be prevented from getting into the bottles.

I think they were about $1.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Jester
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jester's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 617
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
FYI: I just saw these the other day when I was at the LHBS, but they sell little rubber caps that fit snugly over the INSIDE of the bottling bucket's spigot. The end of it has a fine-mesh screen on it.

Seems like a good idea to me. Just slip it over the inside of the spigot and any chunks or other debris that made it into the bottling bucket would be prevented from getting into the bottles.

I think they were about $1.

-walker
I may have to look for one of these... I'm also using a keg.. so most of the sediment would be pushed out with the first glass or two, but I am also thinking about bottling a few too... we'll see...
Jester is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
SteveM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia area
Posts: 1,566
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Default

I tried cheesecloth at the business end (inside) of my autosiphon and the results were not satisfactory. The cloth became too covered with stuff too quickly and the fluid flow slowed to a trickle. To mitigate this as much as possible, I have vowed to be more careful while siphoning and less observant while sipping.
SteveM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
dave-m
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: west haven,utah
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I've thought about this: with a little engineering creativity, one should be able to rig up a strainer "ball" of some sort that fits on the end of a siphon hose. That way, you could siphon more quietly into the bottling bucket, with no aeration, which would be my concern with splashing it through a strainer above the liquid level in the bottling bucket.

Anyone experimented with someting like this? You could maybe even fashion it from a small nylon bag and a hose clamp. Dunno--maybe that would be too fine and would pull the yeast out of suspension, too?
aeration wasn't a concern because the end of the siphon hose is at the bottom of the bucket. The actual straining only takes place when you gently lift the strainer bag out of the bucket. There is no more agitation than a regular siphon.
__________________
Primary #1---Cream Stout
Primary #2---nada
Secondary---nada
Bottled:Better bitter brew

Amber Ale
Yeasty beast Heffeweizen

Kegging system is on the way!!
dave-m is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,019
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-m
aeration wasn't a concern because the end of the siphon hose is at the bottom of the bucket. The actual straining only takes place when you gently lift the strainer bag out of the bucket. There is no more agitation than a regular siphon.
Duh. I somehow missed the word "bag" in your original description of a fine-meshed strainer bag. I then went on to complete re-invent the wheel in my response.

How do you attach the bag to the end of the siphon hose?
cweston is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
subwyking
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
subwyking's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Omaha, NE
Posts: 441
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Duh. I somehow missed the word "bag" in your original description of a fine-meshed strainer bag. I then went on to complete re-invent the wheel in my response.

How do you attach the bag to the end of the siphon hose?
a very tiny gnome?


__________________
Brewing as often as life will let me.
subwyking is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Floaters" left even after secondary??? zanemoseley General Beer Discussion 2 03-12-2009 03:01 PM
Floaters... IcaBrew General Techniques 10 07-08-2008 12:01 AM
Floaters in some of my bottles? Tankard Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 05-05-2008 02:46 PM
Dry hopped floaters in secondary Brewbaker General Techniques 2 03-27-2007 01:01 PM
floaters in my secondary voodoochild7 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 10-31-2005 06:10 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS