Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New Wort Chiller ?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
wzup97
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Wort Chiller ?

Moving to all grain. Made a immersion wort chiller out of a 30 foot peice of half inch copper. Is there some type of cleaning or priming of the chiller I should do before I dunk it into it's first wort?

I also built a mash tun out of a cooler with brass parts inside. Does that need to be primed before it's first use?

I thought I read the use of vinegar but I can't seem to find where I read that.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
seanhagerty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Folks talk about pickling the copper and brass by soaking in vinegar. I never did it. My equipment is working out ok.

Sean

Old 05-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #3
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use vinegar on the copper of my CFC if it has been sitting around unused for a long time in order to remove any oxidation and corrosion buildup inside the tubing. I know many will say it is not necessary, but I have seen the green crap I flush out and don't really want that in my beer....

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 05-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

with an immersion chiller, you really only need to worry about the outside. Vinegar will do the job as well a few other cleaner/sanitzers. I use PBW and Starsan. I sanitive before I put it into my boil. It is overkill, but it puts my mind at ease.

Next up: Double IPA for friend, Kolsch, Graff, American Wheat, Dunkleweizen.