Sorachi summer ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK so I made up this recipie to try Sorachi Ace hops.. Let's talk a great light summer brew!

This turned out very nice!! It is light and tasty with a Sam Adams Summer ale type flavor only a little more complex. It is my transition Beer for one of my Co-Workers who until now would taste my beers, then opt for the "guest" MGD's I keep in my keggerator for hardcore BMC fans. He never cracked an MGD after tasting this one.

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.31
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.43
Anticipated SRM: 4.1
Anticipated IBU: 30.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

0.31 lbs. Honey Malt
1.00 lbs. Flaked Rice
6.50 lbs. Pilsen (2 Row)
0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
3.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)

Hops

0.25 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 14.00% 60 min.
0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 14.00% 30 min.
0.25 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 14.00% 5 min.
.25 OZ lemon zest
Irish Moss
Nottingham Ale Yeast

Light Lemon hint, crisp finish, light taste with a clean after taste.. I am rarely impressed, but impressed myself with this one.

So what is your impression of the Sorachi Ace hops? My LHBS talked me into some awhile back and I've yet to brew with them. After getting them I was told that they are lemony but can be harsh.

They are Lemony for sure, Harsh? Lets look at reality they are 14% Alpha.. yes they are "harsh" but if you go into the recipie knowing that, they are like any other flavored high alpha Hop..use sparingly for flavor.. 1oz in this recipie gave me a great flavor profile with high bittering..

I like them but they are limited in use due to the flavor, I'd use them in wheats, summer ales.. or anything you want the lemony flavor in.. These hops are not generic by any means, they have a distinct Lemon flavor and aroma and are great for styles that call for citrus, I wouldn't use them in an English pale or bitter.

They are Lemony for sure, Harsh? Lets look at reality they are 14% Alpha.. yes they are "harsh" but if you go into the recipie knowing that they are like any other flavored high alpha Hop..use sparingly for flavor.. 1oz in this recipie gave me a great flavor profile with good bittering..

I like them but they are limited in use due to the flavor, I'd use them in wheats, summer ales.. or anything you want the lemony flavor in.. These hops are not generic by any means, they have a distinct Lemon flavor and aroma and are great for styles that call for citrus, I wouldn't use them in a pale or bitter.

Well this sounds interesting. They might do well in a lawnmower beer if not used to excess.

See my Sorachi Saison if you like a light summer Sorachi beer. :)

I did the same recipe again with fruits, but the high IBU didn't go well with the fruit - overpowered it.

How long do you boil the lemon zest? My friend and I are making a 10 gallon batch this Saturday. Also, if we can't find the Sorachi hops, are there any other hops that might make a good substitute?

Can you give a step by step for someone who is saying to themselves "What the hell does Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.43, Anticipated SRM: 4.1', Anticipated IBU: 30.5 mean?" ?

Sounds like I've gotta be a rocket scientist!

Can you give a step by step for someone who is saying to themselves "What the hell does Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.43, Anticipated SRM: 4.1', Anticipated IBU: 30.5 mean?" ?

Sounds like I've gotta be a rocket scientist!

Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.43 - this is what the "Original Gravity" should be after brewing. Plato is just another way of measuring the fermentables in the wort.

Anticipated SRM: 4.1' - this is the colour (or color for the American counterpart)

Anticipated IBU: 30.5 - the bitterness of the beer from the hops.

As cool as it would be to be a rocket scientist, you don't require it to brew!
:mug:

I wanted to use it in my 1st IPA,but the LHBS had never heard of them. So I used Nugget with Columbus & Cascade,6oz total including dry hop. Got a 1st FG today of 1.011,down from OG 1.050. It already smells citrusy/a bit earthy. But man,the flavor is gunna be good.
Lemony/grapefruit with bitter orange under that. A bit earthy,young malt flavor as of now. I can only imagine what Sorachie Ace would've been like.

I happen to have 2 oz. of Sorachi Ace leftover from a saison I brewed and was wondering what to do with them when this email arrived.

Sounds pretty good to me. I also have most of the malts on hand. I was just wondering if you could describe the malt flavor of this brew? I think it's interesting that you are using two base malts, and what the reason for that was? Did you just throw together what you had laying around, or is there more to your formulation than that?

Just polished off the first half of my Falconer's Flight Saison batch - turned out real nice. These hops are a combination of Sorachi Ace, Citra and Simcoe. I would highly recommend these if you can get ahold of any! Nice lemony/citrusy flavor.

My friend and I brewed up an 11 gallon batch yesterday. It's bubbling away in the carboy as we speak. I can't wait to try it!
IMG_20110716_180611.jpg

How long do you boil the lemon zest? My friend and I are making a 10 gallon batch this Saturday. Also, if we can't find the Sorachi hops, are there any other hops that might make a good substitute?

Did you get Sorachi? Based on smell alone I thought Motueka wasn't that far off from SA. Maybe a little more lime to it and lower AA but seemed like it would work well with SA or do a solid job of replacing.

Latest posts

Back