National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sugar Content of Raspberries

Old 03-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
George
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sugar Content of Raspberries

Does anyone out there know how much sugar/lb (or any other mass or weight measurement) is in raspberries? I've made a historically well recieved Honey Wheat Raspberry high alchohol beer. The problem is that I add the first of two frozen raspberry additions after the fermentation has began. I do take an o.g. reading post cool out of the kettle, but it obviously doesn't account for the raspberries. I'd like the folks at my niece's 21st b-day party to know how much of the booze they're consuming.
Rye
Secondary:More red and rye
Primary: Brown (11 years at this and this is my 1st)

Old 03-13-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
phuzle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Does anyone out there know how much sugar/lb (or any other mass or weight measurement) is in raspberries? I've made a historically well recieved Honey Wheat Raspberry high alchohol beer. The problem is that I add the first of two frozen raspberry additions after the fermentation has began. I do take an o.g. reading post cool out of the kettle, but it obviously doesn't account for the raspberries. I'd like the folks at my niece's 21st b-day party to know how much of the booze they're consuming.
There is very little sugar, thats all I can say. Even with two raspberry additions (even large additions), I would imagine your gravity wouldnt go up more than 0.5%. Sorry I'm not of much help, but fruit additions are not where you get much of your fermentables, and raspberries aren't a very sweet fruit.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:08 AM   #3
BitterRat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuzle
There is very little sugar, thats all I can say. Even with two raspberry additions (even large additions), I would imagine your gravity wouldnt go up more than 0.5%. Sorry I'm not of much help, but fruit additions are not where you get much of your fermentables, and raspberries aren't a very sweet fruit.
Not to mention it will vary every year .

Old 03-17-2005, 01:48 AM   #4
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I did a Google search and found a reference that said raspberries contribute 1.003/lb according to ProMash...FWIW...
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
BonneTerre
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello George,

I see now that you posted this in 2005, WOW!
I make a high gravity raspberry honey wheat as well. I also make lots of fruit wines, beers and ciders.
Here is a chart with approximate sugar levels.
Note: Sugar level changes everyday until harvest and some after also. That's why wine grape harvesting is a science and art.
It is best to check the amount of sugar in the fruit with a refractometer but for estimated gravity and estimated additions this will hopefully be helpful to fruit beer and wine makers.

Here are links to the images (for a larger view). Google docs format, no sign in required.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5l...MTBhYWYy&hl=en
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5l...ZDY2NGUy&hl=en

Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
BonneTerre
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update,
Dried Cherries (not listed above) are 69% sugar by weight.
This is "Whole Foods Sour Tart Dried Cherries"; so 100 grams of cherries would be 69 grams of sugar, or 1lb would be 11.2 oz of sugar. So be forewarned that dried cherries add a lot of sugar/alcohol to your beer. Cheers!