i hate paying bills. - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > i hate paying bills.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
monty73741
Recipes 

Jan 2008
baltimore, md (dundalk)
Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

i know am i not the only one that feels that my house payment is the only payment that i dont feel like being ripped off LOL

Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Liked 847 Times on 612 Posts

How about the $1000 bill I just got for heating oil.

Just think of all the beer junk I could have bought with that.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Try paying your own bills when you're "retired" AND paying bills for a startup. My company is shelling out $2000/month for a database we are leasing and we only have a handful of users, so far.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
JustDave

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Mass.
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I dislike paying bills, but I dislike cold showers and sitting in the dark even more

Old 05-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty73741 View Post
i know am i not the only one that feels that my house payment is the only payment that i dont feel like being ripped off LOL
If you feel like you're being ripped off, then just get rid of whatever service you're paying for for a few weeks. If, at the end of those few weeks, you find yourself saying, for example, "man, what I wouldn't give to have running water again", then, I think you'll have proven to yourself that you weren't being ripped off.

When it comes to continuous voluntary transactions like, for instance, cell phone bills, the concept of getting "ripped off" is a non-starter. The simple fact that you continue to voluntarily pay the bill is in itself proof that you value the service enough to pay what they're asking.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
html034

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Jackson, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
If you feel like you're being ripped off, then just get rid of whatever service you're paying for for a few weeks. If, at the end of those few weeks, you find yourself saying, for example, "man, what I wouldn't give to have running water again", then, I think you'll have proven to yourself that you weren't being ripped off.

When it comes to continuous voluntary transactions like, for instance, cell phone bills, the concept of getting "ripped off" is a non-starter. The simple fact that you continue to voluntarily pay the bill is in itself proof that you value the service enough to pay what they're asking.

But what if he really wants the service that they are providing, but still thinks the price is way too high?

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."
Baruch Spinoza

Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
monty73741
Recipes 

Jan 2008
baltimore, md (dundalk)
Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

just complaining. i paid bills today. LOL. I just get pissed about some of the BS charges that i cant change. LIKE my comcast has a franchise fee cost. that some bs charge. I dont like being told one price then when u get a bill they tack on all these other charges. MY house payment PITI. Principle, INterest, taxes & insurance. Its one bill.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Burien, WA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Very true - people ask me why I don't have a cell phone and I tell them that the cost outweighs the benefit. For me anyway.

Water, sewer, power... that is another story. The benefit of hot showers and lights at night make paying those bills worthwhile - even if I think they are too high.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

Me, I could do without cable TV and their phone service. I may look into it depending on how well Sprint's mobile broadband works. You can now get their USB moble broadband and plug it into a new WiFi AP for the whole house. That plus my cell phones are all we need.

Time Warner is starting to leech too much cash.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by html034 View Post
But what if he really wants the service that they are providing, but still thinks the price is way too high?
In economic terms, it doesn't matter. If someone else is providing a product or a service that you want, then by the very fact that you are or aren't willing to pay for it, you have told them what you think. If I walked into a grocery store and said, "hey, you know what, Mr. Grocer, this bread is too damn expensive!", would it change anything? Probably not. As long as enough people are WILLING to pay for it at that price, it really doesn't matter what people THINK of the cost. Your opinion of the value of something really has no bearing on the market until you allow that opinion to influence your purchasing decisions. Personally, I think the Blichmann Boilermaker is not worth the ungodly prices they want for it. So, I just don't buy it. My opinion and my buying decisions are one in the same.

Now, of course, this is all distorted when it's something like, say, municipal water supply. Generally, that service is monopolized by the local government. It is a monopoly in the truest sense of the word! So it's not just a matter of making the choice to buy or not to buy. You need water, and they're the only way to get it. So you pay what the charge you. Instead of letting your opinions influence your buying decisions, in this case, you would petition your local government, complain, write letters to politicians and newspapers, protest, etc., etc. The market dynamic is much different when it comes to monopolized public services that are pretty much necessities for daily life.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)