The raspberries were all home grown and frozen. The cherries were fresh and purchased at a local farmers market. I just washed and sorted 4 pounds. I then just put some of them in my food processor and pulse chopped them just a couple times, just to get them broke open, but not (hopefully) cut into the pits to much.
After the wort boil was finished, my wort chiller was in the boil pot for the last 15 minutes or so, I then just dropped the wort temp to 180* (which didn't take long), and just added all the fruit and kept it at that temp for 20 minutes. This is long enough to disinfect the fresh fruit, but low enough as to not set the pectins. After the 20 minutes, I just finished chilling down the wort. I left the fruit in the primary, and just carefully racked it after two weeks. I then moved it to my lagering room for three weeks and bottled as usual.
I am planning on making this again some time, but I would definitely get my cherries ahead of time, get them washed and in the freezer for a while first. That way I won't have to chop them in the food processor, and I probably could just get by using a potato masher to smash them a bit. But if I was going to use them right away, I would probably put them in a campden solution for two days first, then chop them. That should knock down any whild yeasties, and process as I have described.
On Deck - Crabapple Wine
Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone
Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine