Bulk Grain Inventory Question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk Grain Inventory Question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
DSV
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Austin, TX
Posts: 35


Greetings,

I just started buying bulk grain, which brought the question of what should I keep in stock? So what do y'all keep on hand? I'm thinking of stocking bulk bags of 2-Row and Marris Otter and walking over to austin homebrew for the minor components. What do you consider "must haves" in the inventory?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Ryan_PA
 
Ryan_PA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Horsham, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,881
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Kinda silly to have both 2 row and MO if you ask me, but others will disagree I am sure. I keep MO and Munich in bulk, plus a healthy stocking of Pils.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts


I keep the following on hand.

2 row Pale
2 row Pils
Wheat
Vienna
German Caramel Malt Light (15L)

I buy all my specialty grains from Austin Homebrew Supply and keep a few pounds of those on hand as well as a supply of hops & dry yeasts. That way, I can brew whenever I feel like it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,410
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts


MO - Full sacks
Pils - Full sacks

Munich & Vienna - half sacks
Flaked Wheat - half sacks
Wheat Malt - 20#
Flaked Corn - 20#

Crystal #10, 40, 60, 120 - 10# each
Pale Chocolate - 10#
Rye Malt - 10#
Carapils - 10#
Roasted Barley - 10#
Flaked Barley - 20#

That's a sampling of what I keep, but it should let you brew pretty much any style you like.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
MO - Full sacks
Pils - Full sacks

Munich & Vienna - half sacks
Flaked Wheat - half sacks
Wheat Malt - 20#
Flaked Corn - 20#

Crystal #10, 40, 60, 120 - 10# each
Pale Chocolate - 10#
Rye Malt - 10#
Carapils - 10#
Roasted Barley - 10#
Flaked Barley - 20#

That's a sampling of what I keep, but it should let you brew pretty much any style you like.
That covers most things right there!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
tnlandsailor
 
tnlandsailor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2005
Knoxville, TN
Posts: 522
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts


I've noticed that sometimes the LHBS stock of specialty grains is pretty iffy - both selection wise and quality wise (at least here in Knoxville). You can vacuum seal your specialty grains and get quite a shelf life out of them. I've had some flaked corn in Food Saver bags on hand for a couple of years now and it has worked out quite well.

Prosit!
__________________
Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
DSV
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Austin, TX
Posts: 35

Nice suggestion tnlandsailor. I vacuum seal my hops but had not thought to do it with grains. I'm going to need a bigger freezer... Thanks for the answers so far. This is exactly what I was looking for. Muchos gracias!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor View Post
I've noticed that sometimes the LHBS stock of specialty grains is pretty iffy - both selection wise and quality wise (at least here in Knoxville). You can vacuum seal your specialty grains and get quite a shelf life out of them. I've had some flaked corn in Food Saver bags on hand for a couple of years now and it has worked out quite well.

Prosit!
+1 on the Food Saver. I've made great beer with malt that I have had for over a year.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
York, Pa
Posts: 903
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DSV View Post
Greetings,

I just started buying bulk grain, which brought the question of what should I keep in stock? So what do y'all keep on hand? I'm thinking of stocking bulk bags of 2-Row and Marris Otter and walking over to austin homebrew for the minor components. What do you consider "must haves" in the inventory?
My own inventory based on all the different brews I make.

Ger Pils
Ger Munich
Ger Wheat

M.O. Pale Ale

If you can split bags of specialty grains with other brewers it makes buying them in bulk feasible. Otherwise I would buy the Spec at the LHBS.

I store all my grains in food grade 55 gal drums that have a tight sealing lid. You can keeps grains uncrushed for at least a year this way.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I keep the following on hand.

2 row Pale
2 row Pils
Wheat
Vienna
German Caramel Malt Light (15L)

I buy all my specialty grains from Austin Homebrew Supply and keep a few pounds of those on hand as well as a supply of hops & dry yeasts. That way, I can brew whenever I feel like it.
That's pretty much what I keep on hand (sans Malt light). I do try to keep a sack of Munich around though.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grain mill and bulk grain or kegging system? RayInUT Equipment/Sanitation 55 04-14-2010 03:13 PM
MD Bulk grain buy! claphamsa North East Homebrew Forum 153 05-07-2009 08:44 PM
Foodsaver and bulk grain question: bad coffee All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-27-2009 08:19 PM
Beertools-pre boil gravity and inventory question schristian619 Brewing Software 1 02-18-2009 05:43 PM
Beersmith Inventory Question apparatus Brewing Software 3 12-08-2008 12:20 AM


Forum Jump