Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > patching pin hole in keg

Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
ronrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default patching pin hole in keg

i bid on 4 10 gallon chalanger kegs on ebay, they were local so i went to look at them, one had on posts or dip tubes but they all looked great, the ebay auction said all the one needed was posts and dip tubes but it has two small pin holes that leak co2 probably why the seller didint want me taking them apart. anyway from what i have read with the right soder and flux i should be able to fix the leak. jb weld has been mentioned too but its not recomended on food use items any other sugestions, they are small leaks would a epoxy work, ??????????????

i might end up taking them back, the seller falsely represented them, he had even written leaks on the one that leaks after i had first looked at it but told me he did not think it leaks, on ebay there was no mention of leaks but would much rather fix it.

Reason: more info

Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is the kegs from your other thread, right? If they were my kegs I'd use epoxy on em and let it cure the put em under pressure to see if it worked. I would also fill out very nasty feedback on the seller for misrepresenting themselves in the sale. Also, the seller not wanting to take apart something you wanted to purchase should have made your spidey sense start tingling.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrad View Post
i bid on 4 10 gallon chalanger kegs on ebay, they were local so i went to look at them, one had on posts or dip tubes but they all looked great, the ebay auction said all the one needed was posts and dip tubes but it has two small pin holes that leak co2 probably why the seller didint want me taking them apart. anyway from what i have read with the right soder and flux i should be able to fix the leak. jb weld has been mentioned too but its not recomended on food use items any other sugestions, they are small leaks would a epoxy work, ??????????????

i might end up taking them back, the seller falsely represented them, he had even written leaks on the one that leaks after i had first looked at it but told me he did not think it leaks, on ebay there was no mention of leaks but would much rather fix it.

Honestly if he represented the keg as "they will hold pressure", I would try and get my money back. I am sure they can be fixed with some ways better than others. You did however pay for kegs that work the seller should make it right.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Take them back. More hassle than it is worth. Give Todd a call at www.kegconnection.com and he'll hook you up with decent kegs that don't leak.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
ronrad
Recipes 

other than the two pin holes at the base of the gas in fitting the kegs are in great shape, my nieghbor teaches welding the the local comunity colledge, i think i will ask him about them. i got them for a great price as long as the leaky one is fixable and want to get some beer brewed up before it gets hot. then relax all summer.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 13

FWIW, I used JB weld. No problems.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
ronrad
Recipes 

my nieghbor is going to tig weld the keg with argon gas inside the keg to that it get a smoth weld on the inside. I won't repeat what he said about jb weld or this post would get deleted. lol (and all he wants is a few home brews)

Old 05-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

it is stainless...just tig weld a little bit over the hole. should work well. how much did you end up paying for the faulty keg?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
ronrad
Recipes 

Default faulty keg

i got 4 10 gallon kegs for $256 that makes the faulty one about $40, after welding it will still need dip tubes and posts

Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Take them back. More hassle than it is worth. Give Todd a call at www.kegconnection.com and he'll hook you up with decent kegs that don't leak.

For 450 bucks they better damn well be decent and leak free.