Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to ask for a water report....

Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #11
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

Forget about using your municipality to obtain a water report. Although they are required to give you one upon request, their numbers are usually inaccurate and they don't typically contain all of the ion levels that a homebrewer requires.

Contact Ward Labs and spend the $16.50 for the W-6 Household Mineral Test, or the W-5 test for $10 more if you have concerns about iron and fluoride. This will tell you everything that you need to know about what's in your water.

As far as understanding what you are looking at, check out the chapter in "How to Brew" on Understanding Mash pH. This should give you a good foundation of knowledge to build on as you go forward.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
In chemistry "organic" compounds contain at minimum carbon and hydrogen, so that wouldn't get what he's looking for.
Being a chemist, i DO know this, but this is what my water report actually refers to it all as.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #13
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
Being a chemist, i DO know this, but this is what my water report actually refers to it all as.
I didn't mean to come across like a jerk! This is surprising, being that there is so much chemistry involved with water treatment.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 AM   #14
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have found a $20 Purex Filter and table spoon of 5squared save me the trouble of worrying about it. (The report here is readily available but useless)