Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #1481
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 67 Posts

I've noted in my beersmith notes for this brew to let it bottle condition for 6 weeks because that's how long ago I bottled it and I cannot believe the difference from a few weeks ago.

I used Notty on my version so that may explain the extra time. I was really impatient with this one so I'm clinging to the last few bombers but, what I really need to do is brew it again. : D
Jayhem Likes This 
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #1482
LonestarHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all, I will RAHAHB!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #1483
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
I've noted in my beersmith notes for this brew to let it bottle condition for 6 weeks because that's how long ago I bottled it and I cannot believe the difference from a few weeks ago.

I used Notty on my version so that may explain the extra time. I was really impatient with this one so I'm clinging to the last few bombers but, what I really need to do is brew it again. : D
Brew more! I always brew my next batch BEFORE I start drinking the previous batch of conditioning beer!

Cream of 3 Crops is the beer I now make every 3rd or 4th batch...it's just so drinkable and EVERYONE who has tried it loves it.
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #1484
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've made this a couple of times and there is an aftertaste that I just don't like. I'm thinking of making a small batch and eliminating the rice to see if that's it. The recipe for 3 gallons I have is

OG 1.044
2-Row 3#
Flake Corn 1.8#
1/2 oz Willamette
Nottingham

My only question if this is too much corn. Your thoughts?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #1485
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
I've made this a couple of times and there is an aftertaste that I just don't like. I'm thinking of making a small batch and eliminating the rice to see if that's it. The recipe for 3 gallons I have is

OG 1.044
2-Row 3#
Flake Corn 1.8#
1/2 oz Willamette
Nottingham

My only question if this is too much corn. Your thoughts?
What kind of aftertaste? This beer should be crisp and mellow if you ferment it at the right temps (mid 60's) and give it a good 3 weeks to ferment and condition and then 4-6 weeks in bottles. drinking this beer before it's ready and it will always taste fruity because of the corn and rice adjucts.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1486
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought I'd remove the rice first and if that didn't get rid of it I'd do a batch without the corn and add the rice back in.

I don't know what exactly it is, I kind of get a wine-like after taste is maybe the best way I can describe it. I get the same thing from Budweiser and Old Mil Yuckie (I don't typically drink those beers unless there is ABSOLUTELY nothing else where I'm at). I entered the original recipe in a competition and it scored well but there's something I just don't like.

I started with eliminating the rice first as I drink Yuengling occasionally and don't get the same aftertaste from that beer knowing it's brewed with alot of corn. I know the lager yeast will produce a cleaner beer but just wanted to give this a try.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #1487
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Rice adds absolutely no flavor to beer.. I sub .5 lbs of table sugar all the time with no change in flavor..
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #1488
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
and give it a good 3 weeks to ferment and condition and then 4-6 weeks in bottles. drinking this beer before it's ready and it will always taste fruity because of the corn and rice adjucts.
Damn. Now I am worried about this beer being ready for our party. This is my first time brewing this beer. I am fermenting at 65 but I brewed this on 9/29 and our party is on 10/20. I was going to throw it in the keg on 10/10 and hope it was carbed up in time. I guess I should leave it longer and burst carb, which I have never done. I always use the 12psi set it and forget it method.

What do you think is the best course of action here ?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #1489
PapaFoxtrot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
I don't know what exactly it is, I kind of get a wine-like after taste is maybe the best way I can describe it. I get the same thing from Budweiser and Old Mil Yuckie (I don't typically drink those beers unless there is ABSOLUTELY nothing else where I'm at). I entered the original recipe in a competition and it scored well but there's something I just don't like.
The first time that I brewed this beer(second batch is in primary now), I fermented at 70 degrees ambient with S05. After two weeks in primary and two weeks in the bottle, the only off flavor that I had was a very slight corn sweetness that completely went away after four weeks. No tart aftertaste at all.

How did you handle your water chemistry? I'm fortunate that my muni water is pretty good and I only add a little calcium carbonate to the mash water. This beer is so light that there's no hiding any astringency.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #1490
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan13 View Post
Damn. Now I am worried about this beer being ready for our party. This is my first time brewing this beer. I am fermenting at 65 but I brewed this on 9/29 and our party is on 10/20. I was going to throw it in the keg on 10/10 and hope it was carbed up in time. I guess I should leave it longer and burst carb, which I have never done. I always use the 12psi set it and forget it method.

What do you think is the best course of action here ?
As long as you have 2 full weeks after carbonation for it to condition and clear up it will be good, just a bit on the fruity side and possibly not fully cleared yet. It really starts to get crisp around the 4 week conditioning mark. Let it condition for 8 weeks or longer and it will be so clear people will wonder how you made beer like this without filtering it.