Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale) - Page 149 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #1481
Brewskii
 
Brewskii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Williamsburg, Va
Posts: 1,153
Liked 127 Times on 68 Posts


I've noted in my beersmith notes for this brew to let it bottle condition for 6 weeks because that's how long ago I bottled it and I cannot believe the difference from a few weeks ago.

I used Notty on my version so that may explain the extra time. I was really impatient with this one so I'm clinging to the last few bombers but, what I really need to do is brew it again. : D

Jayhem Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #1482
LonestarHB
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 13
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Thanks all, I will RAHAHB!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #1483
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
I've noted in my beersmith notes for this brew to let it bottle condition for 6 weeks because that's how long ago I bottled it and I cannot believe the difference from a few weeks ago.

I used Notty on my version so that may explain the extra time. I was really impatient with this one so I'm clinging to the last few bombers but, what I really need to do is brew it again. : D
Brew more! I always brew my next batch BEFORE I start drinking the previous batch of conditioning beer!

Cream of 3 Crops is the beer I now make every 3rd or 4th batch...it's just so drinkable and EVERYONE who has tried it loves it.
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #1484
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Upper Sandusky, OH
Posts: 454
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


I've made this a couple of times and there is an aftertaste that I just don't like. I'm thinking of making a small batch and eliminating the rice to see if that's it. The recipe for 3 gallons I have is

OG 1.044
2-Row 3#
Flake Corn 1.8#
1/2 oz Willamette
Nottingham

My only question if this is too much corn. Your thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #1485
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
I've made this a couple of times and there is an aftertaste that I just don't like. I'm thinking of making a small batch and eliminating the rice to see if that's it. The recipe for 3 gallons I have is

OG 1.044
2-Row 3#
Flake Corn 1.8#
1/2 oz Willamette
Nottingham

My only question if this is too much corn. Your thoughts?
What kind of aftertaste? This beer should be crisp and mellow if you ferment it at the right temps (mid 60's) and give it a good 3 weeks to ferment and condition and then 4-6 weeks in bottles. drinking this beer before it's ready and it will always taste fruity because of the corn and rice adjucts.
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1486
Brutus Brewer
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Upper Sandusky, OH
Posts: 454
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


I thought I'd remove the rice first and if that didn't get rid of it I'd do a batch without the corn and add the rice back in.

I don't know what exactly it is, I kind of get a wine-like after taste is maybe the best way I can describe it. I get the same thing from Budweiser and Old Mil Yuckie (I don't typically drink those beers unless there is ABSOLUTELY nothing else where I'm at). I entered the original recipe in a competition and it scored well but there's something I just don't like.

I started with eliminating the rice first as I drink Yuengling occasionally and don't get the same aftertaste from that beer knowing it's brewed with alot of corn. I know the lager yeast will produce a cleaner beer but just wanted to give this a try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #1487
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,723
Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts


Rice adds absolutely no flavor to beer.. I sub .5 lbs of table sugar all the time with no change in flavor..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #1488
Wingfan13
 
Wingfan13's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Austin, TX, Texas
Posts: 340
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
and give it a good 3 weeks to ferment and condition and then 4-6 weeks in bottles. drinking this beer before it's ready and it will always taste fruity because of the corn and rice adjucts.
Damn. Now I am worried about this beer being ready for our party. This is my first time brewing this beer. I am fermenting at 65 but I brewed this on 9/29 and our party is on 10/20. I was going to throw it in the keg on 10/10 and hope it was carbed up in time. I guess I should leave it longer and burst carb, which I have never done. I always use the 12psi set it and forget it method.

What do you think is the best course of action here ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #1489
PapaFoxtrot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 86
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
I don't know what exactly it is, I kind of get a wine-like after taste is maybe the best way I can describe it. I get the same thing from Budweiser and Old Mil Yuckie (I don't typically drink those beers unless there is ABSOLUTELY nothing else where I'm at). I entered the original recipe in a competition and it scored well but there's something I just don't like.
The first time that I brewed this beer(second batch is in primary now), I fermented at 70 degrees ambient with S05. After two weeks in primary and two weeks in the bottle, the only off flavor that I had was a very slight corn sweetness that completely went away after four weeks. No tart aftertaste at all.

How did you handle your water chemistry? I'm fortunate that my muni water is pretty good and I only add a little calcium carbonate to the mash water. This beer is so light that there's no hiding any astringency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #1490
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan13 View Post
Damn. Now I am worried about this beer being ready for our party. This is my first time brewing this beer. I am fermenting at 65 but I brewed this on 9/29 and our party is on 10/20. I was going to throw it in the keg on 10/10 and hope it was carbed up in time. I guess I should leave it longer and burst carb, which I have never done. I always use the 12psi set it and forget it method.

What do you think is the best course of action here ?
As long as you have 2 full weeks after carbonation for it to condition and clear up it will be good, just a bit on the fruity side and possibly not fully cleared yet. It really starts to get crisp around the 4 week conditioning mark. Let it condition for 8 weeks or longer and it will be so clear people will wonder how you made beer like this without filtering it.
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not Cream, but Three Crops Onkel_Udo Recipes/Ingredients 5 07-25-2016 11:48 PM
Help: cream of 3 crops - US-05 DPveritasGold Fermentation & Yeast 3 09-08-2015 12:01 AM
Cream of 3 Crops help DPveritasGold Recipes/Ingredients 5 08-07-2015 07:08 PM
Rooster Tail Cream Ale (Cream of Three Crops knock off) doctormiah Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 10-19-2013 01:58 PM
78% on my first AG - Cream of 3 Crops jrfuda All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 06-28-2011 07:03 PM


Forum Jump