Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #1011
JimTheHick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Sultry Wench Making Beer Obediently. Or something like that....

Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #1012
Richbrew
Recipes 

Thanks DRUMMERGUYSTEVE! That was my version, using S-33, and Williamette and Cascade hops. It took 2nd place at Beerstock 5060.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #1013
lukem5
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post
Sultry Wench Making Beer Obediently. Or something like that....
HAHHAHA good one, yeah thats what swmbo should mean

This stuff tastes great after a week in primary, I put too many amarillo hops in it though, still too sweet to tell just how good it is, but its gonna be good.

I really want to try this with even MORE rice as some others have said, maybe as much as half the recipe?

I live in hawaii so barley is expensive/not fresh. But the rice flows cheap, plentiful and fresh, and so I made this recipe beginning my journey of finding a good/even moderate quality rice beer.

Any suggestions for additions as far as rice dominated beers go? I was thinking some 6 row to up the proteins and ofc carapils for more body/head retention that rice will severly lack. I am sure you can make a good rice beer but it will need just the right ingredients, and im sure I wont be able to exceed 50% rice... but maybe some1 else already has done this with good results?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #1014
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didn't follow this exact recipe but its close. I used some of jamils recipe and some of this one. I used liberty hops should have around 16 IBU's used 1.2 ounces for bittering then .34 ounces at 1 min. My grain bill was 3 crops maybe 4. I used 3.75 lbs of pilsner mal and 3.75 lbs of 2-row. I used 1.69 lbs of rice and 1 lb of corn. Also added .75lbs of table sugar to dry it up a bit. I'm going to use safale 05 for yeast.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:37 AM   #1015
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just brewed this recipe, it's chilling now waiting to go into the fermenter.
After reading many pages of this thread it looks like very few brew the exact recipe so I changed it up a bit too, mostly because it was what I had on hand. I'm new to AG but I think I got good efficiency
2 row. - 6lb
instant rice. -28oz(1 box)
instant grits. -1.5lb(1 carton)
torrified wheat -4oz

czech saaz 3% -1oz
willamette 4.7% -.5oz

I did a 60 min mash at 152 but added 2 tsp of amalaze enzyme
after boil ended up with 5.25 gal at 1.045
I'm going to pitch a packet of notty because it's what I have on hand
it smells good! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #1016
cbdeacon
Recipes 

What I don't understand, after brewing 4 batches of this wonderful stuff, following Biermuncher's recipe to the letter, is why everyone insists on not following the recipe.
Just kidding...I won't leave well enough alone, either...

Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #1017
Mudflap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdeacon View Post
What I don't understand, after brewing 4 batches of this wonderful stuff, following Biermuncher's recipe to the letter, is why everyone insists on not following the recipe.
Just kidding...I won't leave well enough alone, either...
haha. I normally always follow the op recipe first before I start to tweak if so compelled to. The only reason I did not in this case was because I was making it for my sis' wedding reception and was a little concerned about too much corny-ness that several folks were posting so I backed off a bit on the corn and upped the rice to compensate. Its only a few days in the kegs now but I can't even pick up any corn yet. Will post back after it conditions a while before giving any judgement.
Upcoming: Rogue Dead Guy, Bourbon Oaked IIPA

Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #1018
bricks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just now getting back in to home brewing after a 15 year layoff, and found this recipe. Since I am not set up yet to attempt all grain brewing, I thought I might try to do an extract version of this. If I used 4 pounds of light liquid malt extract and 2 pounds of rice syrup solids for a 5 gallon batch do you think it would turn out anywhere near this all grain version?

Thanks.

Bob

Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #1019
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can someone help me here?

This beer and another one I have has some issues. 4-5 days ago i was drinking both beers and they tasted amazing! But the very next day and up until this point, a lot of the flavor and aroma is gone.

-They are not over carbed
-They are in kegs at 12 PSI
-I brewed both on July 4th
-Primary to secondary (with gelatin) to keg

Can anyone tell me whats going on? Is this oxidation?

It seems like this cream ale got better with age and then after a certain point it lost it's flavor. Something has to be wrong because it can't just naturally lose flavor that quick.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #1020
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks View Post
Just now getting back in to home brewing after a 15 year layoff, and found this recipe. Since I am not set up yet to attempt all grain brewing, I thought I might try to do an extract version of this. If I used 4 pounds of light liquid malt extract and 2 pounds of rice syrup solids for a 5 gallon batch do you think it would turn out anywhere near this all grain version?

Thanks.

Bob
i would consider maybe steeping 1# flaked maze for the overall effect of being a cream ale
Edit: keep with the same hop schedule and it should turn out good.. you could go a quarter oz more and not be too unbalanced wich you might want to do being an extract batch
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia