Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG Active Fermentation

Old 05-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
ZacMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AG Active Fermentation

I just brewed my first AG on Sunday and things seemed to go pretty well.
Just a general question, do AG batches have a more active fermentation then extract?
I know that a lot of factors play into this, but I was just wondering if in general if this was true. Thanks!

On-Tap: Oktoberfast Ale
On-Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled: Apfelwein, Cali Common
On-Deck:Irish Red, Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Clone - Gettin' ready for the fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ainít right!

MacKnockel's Brewing Co.

Valparaiso, Indiana

Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
cwhill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacmac View Post
do AG batches have a more active fermentation then extract?
I think it has more to do with yeast type, temperatures and gravity. My AG Centennial Blonde had a average to mellow fermentation. The stout I did before this one was an extract brew that blew the top off.

There are two rules for success in life:
1. Never tell anyone everything you know
Primary: Air
Secondary: Air
Bottled: BierMuncher's Centenial Blonde,Oatmeal Stout
Kegged: Centenial Blonde
On Deck:

Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure...but my first two AG batches were definitely "different". My first AG was a Pale Ale and everything besides grains remained the same as my extract batch. However, the AG batch had very slow and steady fermentation which lasted well over 10 days, versus my extract batch which only took 7 days to ferment. My second AG was a wheat...again almost exactly the same as my extract batch, but just a bit more wheat compared to the 60/40 wheat/barley extract I had used previously. This AG batch had some violent fermentation and had a pretty big blowoff, while my extract batch was just very steady...the same as all of my other extract batches.

So I don't really have a good answer to your question I guess...only that I have noticed the difference in fermentation between extract and AG. Not that this is a bad thing...just drank a sixer of my first AG pale ale and it was FANTASTIC. And I took a sample of my wheat beer last night...it too was amazing...so I think fermentation was very healthy.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 05-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
redneckbeagle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am guessing there is a distinct difference. Just finished an AG on Mother's Day and it has been active and steady for 8 days now. Yes I took time to see mom for a few minutes!!!

redneckbeagle