Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Main line for hop trellis?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
98EXL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I used 1/8" aircraft cable with a 340lbs. load, and S-hooks for my twine lines

Old 05-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbinator View Post
Wire for the suspension line. Mostly anything else will
stretch, and sag within a few weeks....no matter how taught....especially
when the real weight shows up late summer
Thats a good point, I guess that doesn't matter much to the guys that are training straight up.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will share my trellis info with you all, might help, I planted 2, 20 foot 4 inch pipe, 32 inches in the ground, used sackcrete around the pipe, tamped it in real tight while keeping the pipe plumb, welded a 3/8 inch flat plate on top, welded a 1/4 inch by 2 inch suare washer to the very outside edge on top of the plate, used telephone guidewire as main line, turnbuckle on one end, bought 2 of the mobile home anchors that screw into the ground ( 6 bucks each from mobile home parts place) used the same guidewire to hook into the washer at top on both pipes, used 1 turnbuckle on each of thes and pulled tight, this trellis will hold all the weight your hops will ever put on the main line, my roe is 50 feet long with 12 rhizomes, 2 each of thesame rhizome, 3 feet apart, and 6 feet on different varieties, hope this helps.I just tosswed bailing twine over the main line, drove a 1inch piece of angle iron in the ground at the hole of the rhizome and did the same about 4 feet away from the row to tie the other end to, welde a 1/2 inch washer to each angle to tie the twine off tight, it will not slide down the main line.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #14
98EXL

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg View Post
I will share my trellis info with you all, might help, I planted 2, 20 foot 4 inch pipe, 32 inches in the ground, used sackcrete around the pipe, tamped it in real tight while keeping the pipe plumb, welded a 3/8 inch flat plate on top, welded a 1/4 inch by 2 inch suare washer to the very outside edge on top of the plate, used telephone guidewire as main line, turnbuckle on one end, bought 2 of the mobile home anchors that screw into the ground ( 6 bucks each from mobile home parts place) used the same guidewire to hook into the washer at top on both pipes, used 1 turnbuckle on each of thes and pulled tight, this trellis will hold all the weight your hops will ever put on the main line, my roe is 50 feet long with 12 rhizomes, 2 each of thesame rhizome, 3 feet apart, and 6 feet on different varieties, hope this helps.I just tosswed bailing twine over the main line, drove a 1inch piece of angle iron in the ground at the hole of the rhizome and did the same about 4 feet away from the row to tie the other end to, welde a 1/2 inch washer to each angle to tie the twine off tight, it will not slide down the main line.

that sir is what we call overkill....very nicely executed

Old 05-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #15
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you, it was a lot of work, but it should last at least my lifetime

Old 05-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
98EXL

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagg View Post
Thank you, it was a lot of work, but it should last at least my lifetime

that's the point....the last part of IMHO of overkill is doing the guy wires for the 4x4's

Overall I'm satisfied, and my babies are loving it

Old 05-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I had to throw together a cheap trellis this year due to budget constraints. I'll build a better one next year.

I used two 10' fence rails (used to run along the top of a chain link fence) at $10 each. I used cheap poly rope for the main line (only 3 plants this year) $3. Did not plant the posts but instead set them on treated that I buried slightly, had that laying around. Then I set up the poles and had two guy wires (ropes) coming down, one went about 8' back and to the right and attached to the fence (at a corner post) and the other went 8' or so back and to the left and tied to a PVC pipe cut to use as a stake (Until I can get the twist in stakes, which I plan to get in the next week or so and swap out). I did the same on the other side.

I then threw some jute twine over the rope (no rings) and staked down both ends, letting the twine be a bit loose.

Overall the project probably cost me $30 to do, maybe $40 if you had to buy everything. Cheap and it works, ugly as sin though (used a yellow rope...) It will get updated, but just shows you can make a 50' long trellis for fairly cheap. It seems fairly secure, only 10' tall but they are only first year plants. Also will be throwing some more twine over it to run sugar snap peas up.

I can create my own thread and post pics if others are interested.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wonder if I should've used guy wires. I can't believe how flexible 4x4s can be. Well, next year, when I have to extend the trellis, I figure I'll be using galvanized pipe rather than the cable.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #19
98EXL

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS68 View Post
I wonder if I should've used guy wires. I can't believe how flexible 4x4s can be. Well, next year, when I have to extend the trellis, I figure I'll be using galvanized pipe rather than the cable.
As soon as it cools down tonight, SWMBO and I are doing the guy wires for our 15' tall 4x4 trelis....we'll see how it goes