Thirsty Goat Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scinerd3000

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001 California Ale
Yeast Starter
No (Ran out of DME)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68
American Amber Ale (5.66% ABV)

A ProMash Recipe Report

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
70.3 8.00 lbs. Marris otter (2-row) America 1.038 3
17.6 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt Belgium 1.038 8
4.4 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich 60 France 1.034 60
4.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 45
2.2 0.25 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.1 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Willamette Plug 4.30 17.2 60 min.
0.75 oz. Centennial Whole 9.30 13.9 30 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Plug 4.30 2.9 20 min.

**1 tsp irish moss added at last 15 minutes of boil. Also used hop bag for hops additions.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
---------------

Mashed at 154 degrees F for 60 minutes with 14 quarts and then added 5 quarts of 175 degree water and started vorlauf until clear runnings present. Drained first runnings and sparged with 13 quarts of 175 degree water. Came up with about 4.5 gallons instead of 5.5 total runnings.

**Next time i will use an additional gallon of water to achieve 5.5 gallon recipe...I didint get enough munich so i went with a half lb of the caramunich for added color.

After about a month everything was spot on. Tastes great with full body and a nice head and a slight carmel finish. Biscuit added a perfect amount of extra fullness to make it a successful first recipe. Many more to come hopefully

Looks like a great recipe. I want to make an Amber next. I tried Hawaii Nui's Amber Ale and it's really good, really good. You can taste a slight chocolate in the finish. On your recipe did the chocolate come through in the taste at all, or only color?

i used the chocolate in this case just for a color adjustment. Toward the end of my stock when it had aged a bit it could be percieved but just barely. I had some random grains in stock which is why the grainbill is abit complicated but you could try taking out the 1/2# caramunich and use .5# pale chocolate malt (~215L) and up the crystal 40L to .75# to get more chocolate flavor.

Thanks! Ordered the supplies today. Will try the extra chocolate, and also the .75 40L.

Well brewing this went really well on Sunday but turns out my vial of yeast was DOA!!

I ordered some more last night, but it won't arrive until Thursday. It's sitting at 67 degrees and waiting right now.

Lesson learned, always have a packet of dry yeast in the fridge!

Forgot to mention I made a starter for this one, so I expected it to start off fast. But last night when there was still no action I took a gravity reading and it was unchanged, so I figured for sure all my yeast were dead on arrival. But today I wake up and the airlock is bubbling away!

Wonder if I should still pitch the US-05 which arrives later today?

Wonder if I should still pitch the US-05 which arrives later today?

i keep that around just in case....for this it will be the best bet for dry yeast and should work great. My starters always seem to take a few days to get going...

It's been about 3 weeks in bottle. I poured one this evening and now I think the .5 lb chocolate was enough to move this out of amber ale and into brown ale. I really wonder what Hawaii Nui's recipe is. They have a lighter color and a sweeter chocolate in the finish. Even though I used only pale chocolate it still has a roasty/toasty taste that was not there in the Hawaii Nui. Hawaii Nui had more of a sweet chocote w/ out the roasty/toasty. It's a good beer, don't get me wrong. Now I'm just wondering how to adjust it to reach my goal of a near clone.

Very interesting this beer making is! So much to learn.

thats part of the fun of trying to clone something no one has before. Next time move to use either some honey malt or more crystal and less chocolate. According to there website they do use chocolate malts and also wheat....were you happy with the way it turned out?

This is fun, and I'm happy w/ it, in fact tonight there was a Hawaii Nui in the fridge, but I chose this! It's almost all gone!

It's a really easy drinking beer. I've been having one or two most every night since it carbed. I think more crystal, less chocolate, an English ale yeast plus a higher mash temp might be in the ballpark.

Thanks for this recipe SciNerd.

I had a handful of leftover grains to use, and I found this thread when I did a search for one recipe that included all of them (Biscuit, Chocolate, Crystal, Caramunich). I'm a partial masher, so I used my remaining grains + 1lb of dark munich, 7 lbs of pale extract, and tweaked it with 2 lbs of honey and Wyeast's Northwest Ale #1332.

I just boiled today, so I now begin the homebrewer's curse of the long wait. A quick taste after the boil had more honey taste than I expected. I'll get back in a few weeks with an update after the yeast does its thing.

Just thought I'd say thanks, and let you know that the recipe (plus an addition to lighten it up for summer) was being put to good use.

Thanks for this recipe SciNerd.

I had a handful of leftover grains to use, and I found this thread when I did a search for one recipe that included all of them (Biscuit, Chocolate, Crystal, Caramunich). I'm a partial masher, so I used my remaining grains + 1lb of dark munich, 7 lbs of pale extract, and tweaked it with 2 lbs of honey and Wyeast's Northwest Ale #1332.

I just boiled today, so I now begin the homebrewer's curse of the long wait. A quick taste after the boil had more honey taste than I expected. I'll get back in a few weeks with an update after the yeast does its thing.

Just thought I'd say thanks, and let you know that the recipe (plus an addition to lighten it up for summer) was being put to good use.

sounds good- also the honey will almost completely ferment out so don't worry. And the 1332 and the darm munich sound like interesting touches. Let me know how it comes out

Back