mud jugs anyone?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
ok i ocured to me that mississippi mud jugs are like perfect for home brewing simply because with the swipe of a knife its de-labled, and second of all because the top is resealable. anyone have luck with this practice?

You mean these?

MissMud.jpg

Nah, I doubt they'd work in the same way a growler wouldn't work for bottling beer in. See the thread linked for an explanation why.... It would be cool...now if you were keg carbing first, then using them, they probably would work, since the pressure is less...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=65717

I grab them if I see them in the back of the beer store. I have the same idea that they could be useful for growlers when I go to kegging, and want to take a sample to someone's house. They are cute!

I grab them if I see them in the back of the beer store. I have the same idea that they could be useful for growlers when I go to kegging, and want to take a sample to someone's house. They are cute!

Honestly until Thor posted this, I didn't think they were still made anymore. I haven't had it in a couple years, but if I recall correctly, as a beer, they didn't suck too bad.

And the jugs are cute...They'd be good for making small yeast starters too.

I have bottle conditioned in metal top growlers (Rogue) a couple of times. Never a single problem, people seem to rant about this being a terrible idea for some reason. Just try a few and put them in a bag under the sink and see what happens. Worst case scenario is lid pops off and you throw them away, I do not see them as more dangerous than a normal bottle, with regard to "grenades". Homebrewing is all about experimentation, so experiment.

Worst case scenario is lid pops off and you throw them away, I do not see them as more dangerous than a normal bottle, with regard to "grenades". Homebrewing is all about experimentation, so experiment.

As has been mentioned, growlers are not pressure vessels. Beer bottles are.

I can imagine a scenario where your growler is conditioning away under the sink, and you decide it's ready to go to the fridge so you can drink it later. You open up the bag, and when you touch the growler that's just enough for the built-up pressure to conspire with some tiny imperfection in the glass, and send shards of glass flying towards your eyes (unless you're lucky enough that the flesh of your hands and forearms happens to absorb them all).

"Lid pops off" is not the worst case scenario. And I have yet to hear any reasonable upside for conditioning beer in a growler that would make me want to try this "experiment".

If you've ever seen a bottle bomb, the lid never pops off. The bottom and/or sides explode. Glass shards everywhere.

Impetuous Brewer indeed.

ok double post, but how does it make any sense that it cant hold pressure if the beer is obviously carbonated?!?!?!?! just personally i think it makes sense that you can rack it to mud jugs.

Based on their use in commercial brewing, Mud jugs will probably work. However, I don't really like the word, probably, when it comes to my brew. Simple growlers, on the other hand, are a TERRIBLE idea.

i am drinking one (ok...four....) right now and i have noticed that its not as carbonated as a normal beer. maybe thats it. however, it CAN and DOES hold pressure. i work at whole foods and am in charge of the beer, and i know how the bottles can be handled sometimes. these things are shaken up on accident, in transit, or other, and they can still hold their bearing.

That matches my memories, it's a low-carbonation beer. So, if you were to make a Bitter or a regular stout, they might be ok. The problem with screw-tops is always deformation of the caps & seals. The caps are not designed for re-use.

Back