Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Suggestions on my First Batch

Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Pi Kapp Beer Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Suggestions on my First Batch

Ok so i did a lot of research on the topic of beer brewing and quite frankly i spent more time researching it than i have my five years of college combined. Anyway i have bottled my first batch and after a week and a half time i am currently drinking it. Now to my friends i am damn near god like for creating a drinkable beer. However it is not to my expectations. It lacks.....whats that word? Taste. I have a beautiful golden beverage with little carbonation and truthfully it taste like water downed beer and not even as good as a crappy corona. SO here it is i tried to make an an American pale ale. My first mistake is i commited a cardnal brewing sin an did not check the OG. With that being said why check the FG. I was rushed by friends but i opened three slammed them and can tell there is alcohol present. All i used was extracts so maybe that explains the lack of taste. Its like the initial taste is good followed by a watery after taste. Any suggestions? My initial gaol was to create a drinkable beer to experiment with so where should i go from here?

Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Don't drink any more. A week and a half is not enough time. The general rule for carbonation is three weeks at 70+ degrees. Let it sit for a while. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At LEAST 3 WEEKS to carbonate and have drinkable beer. Every brew will get better from here- wouldn't you like to go back and show your first special lady friend what you have learned over the years? Brewing is the same way.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Tankard
Recipes 

I just learned this the hard way. My beer after a week and half was not very good at all. It did not have the taste I expected. I am a few days away from 3 weeks and I had one tonight.... what a world of difference. It has a nice, strong, bold flavor and a nice hoppy aftertaste. Classic red ale style. I'm loving it now, and I'm sure it will only get better with more time.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Fusorfodder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did the same with my first beer and tried a bottle a week after. Low carbonation, weak and watery flavor with no body. 2 weeks later the beer was one of the tastiest brown ales I had ever enjoyed. As hard as it is, patience goes a looooooong way in this hobby. Give it a bit more time and I'm sure you'll be loving it.
Kegged - Yet More Beer
Planning - A Bunch of Beer and some mead

I always forget to update this thing, so the above should in general hold true.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

It lacks because you openned them after a week and a half!!!!! They're green and not fully carbed....You must have missed the part about bottle conditioning in your "research."

read this and watch the video...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

It has nothing to do with using extracts...or anything else. Just impatience.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What were your ingredients/process if i may ask? i might be able to get a "rough" estimate.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout