Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Crop Circle Wheat Clone

Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
joshwoodward
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to chime in - this recipe is fantastic.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to give this one a go next chance I get. Looks great!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Adaman05
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Reviving a dead thread. My brother-in-law's favorite beer is Crop Circle Wheat and he wanted me to brew 10 gallons for his 30th birthday party which was last night. I used this recipe as a base and upped the wheat percentage since the Dane claims they use over 60% wheat in this. Let's just say it was a big hit. One person said it was better than the Dane's crop circle, and another said this was just as good as the Bavarian hefes she had while out in Germany. Everybody raved about it. Nice work on this, OP! Here's the version I brewed, again, 10 gallons. I hit 5.25% ABV with a crappy efficiency (which I was expecting).

14 lbs Wheat (German)
8 lbs Pale 2-row (Belgian)
9 oz Munich
9 oz Carapils

1.5 oz Hallertau 60 min

Mash 156F for 60 min

Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
Craichead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaman05 View Post
Reviving a dead thread. My brother-in-law's favorite beer is Crop Circle Wheat and he wanted me to brew 10 gallons for his 30th birthday party which was last night. I used this recipe as a base and upped the wheat percentage since the Dane claims they use over 60% wheat in this. Let's just say it was a big hit. One person said it was better than the Dane's crop circle, and another said this was just as good as the Bavarian hefes she had while out in Germany. Everybody raved about it. Nice work on this, OP! Here's the version I brewed, again, 10 gallons. I hit 5.25% ABV with a crappy efficiency (which I was expecting).

14 lbs Wheat (German)
8 lbs Pale 2-row (Belgian)
9 oz Munich
9 oz Carapils

1.5 oz Hallertau 60 min

Mash 156F for 60 min
Reviving a dead thread again.

Is this an all-grain recipe? Sorry, noob here. I'm planning on brewing a Crop Circle Wheat clone this weekend, all grain (my first), and this recipe sounds promising.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
Adaman05
Recipes 

This was for 10 gallons so you'll want to halve all the ingredients. Also I fermented around 68-70 (beer, not room temp) with wy3068 yeast to get as much banana as possible. Also make sure you use a blow off tube with this yeast.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #16
Craichead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for your quick reply! May I ask what you mean by "Pale 2-row (Belgian)" and "Munich"? I could find pale Belgian malt and pale 2-row, but not pale 2-row Belgian. Munich also appears to apply to a number of different grain types from what I'm finding.

Thanks for the tip on the blow-off tube. I'll have to pick up one of those from the Wine & Hop Shop.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #17
Adaman05
Recipes 

Any 2 row will be just fine!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #18
Adaman05
Recipes 

Oh and if you don't make a starter you should use 2 smack packs of the 3068

Old 03-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #19
Craichead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaman05 View Post
Oh and if you don't make a starter you should use 2 smack packs of the 3068
So a pale 2-row...sounds good. How about the Munich? Was there a certain type you used/recommend?

I'm actually trying to get some of the yeast that the Dane uses. I talked to the brewer at Hilldale today and he said that he could give me some in about 9 days after fermentation has completed, but I'd like to brew this weekend. So, I'm still trying to get in touch with the brewer downtown. We'll see how it pans out.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 AM   #20
Adaman05
Recipes 

I think the Munich was a nice touch but not necessary. Just use whatever is available since it is such a small percentage of the grist. Traditional hefeweizens utilize just wheat and Pilsner malts. This recipe adds a few extra grains and substitutes pils for pale malt. I also think the diff in pale vs pils is probably negligible. If you use pils you need to mash for 90 mon. Do what you feel is best. IPAs are my specialties so I followed the previous advice and really found success. The result was an incredibly tasty hefe. Bottom line for this hefe: fermentation temp control with the correct yeast. This hefe needs to be heavy on banana and lower on the clove flavors.
Craichead Likes This