Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Yet another first AG story
Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Yet another first AG story

Alright! I feel good. 4 extracts under my belt, and now 1 AG! I used Ed Wort's Haus ale recipe and right now it's going crazy (fermented in less than 12 hours). I missed the og by a few points (1.048 was my final) and I ended up with a bit less than 5 gallons (I'd say i was off by 1/2 gallon, or 3/4). I had a few flaws in my process.

1. I forgot to add the 5 qt of water pre-vorlauf. Here I was draining the MLT (Rectangle Igloo, copper manifold w/ holes) and it never really cleared up. After about 2-3 minutes I said F** it and drained into the kettle. I looked at my stove and realized it's all still there. Was it bad that I didnt let it clear, and then just added it all in at once after I started draining the wort into the kettle?

2. After all was drained, I didn't bother getting the rest of the water out (I bet I could have gotten a quart or two if I tipped the MLT forward) since my boil kettle was nearly full (7.5 gal keggle). Should I have just drained as much as I could?

Oh yeah, I got risky and carried the entire keggle in the house and ended up burning a huge ring onto the welcome mat. Oops.

Other than that, I look forward to enjoying some tasty beer made from scratch!

Check the Profile for all my info!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 137 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 106

So hows the first AG beer coming?