Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hefe-Weizen for my first AG Brew

Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
billism
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hefe-Weizen for my first AG Brew

Hello,

I am planning on brewing an AG hefe-weizen within the next week. Since I have no experience doing so, I was wondering if I could get feedback on a recipe I found, or if any experienced brewers can recomend a good hefe-weizen recipe?

This is the one I found that I am considering:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=142

Also, anyone know if "Fawcett" Wheat Malt is a specific wheat malt needed? What is "Fawcett"?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

That looks like a good recipe to me. Any wheat malt is fine. I would also include 1/2# rice hulls since this is your first AG attempt. It will help prevent a stuck mash on account of the wheat. Also, don't use any Irish moss or Whirlfloc for this recipe as you want it cloudy.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

not to rainn on your parade, but i wouldnt do a wheat beer as your first AG. its just so sticky and has many potential problems. do it after a couple shots with beers based on 2-row. a pale ale makes a good AG intro. (this is from personal experience, don't want you as frustrated as i was when doing something completely new on a piece if equipment youve never tried.)

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Old 02-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you do a hefe for your first, be sure to use a blow-off tube for your airlock. Those things ferment like crazy!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I don't see any real issues with the posted recipe. It may be a wheat beer but it only uses 40% wheat. My last batch was a weizenbock with 60% wheat that I milled pretty fine trying to push the limit on extraction. I set up for a very slow sparge, not in fear of a stuck runoff but for maximum extraction due to the high gravity I was attempting to reach. It paid off, exceeded my calculated gravity and no stuck runoff.

With that said, I would agree with drengel. Brewing ag for the first time, you are actually putting yourself and equipment through a test run and would only make sense to start simple, I would also add cheap. No matter how well or bad it goes, it will only gets better after that.